Home

irrigation ditches

Posted By: maestro

irrigation ditches - 06/05/2007 11:18 PM

My buddy has a new farm with quite a few irrigation ditches on it. The weeds are horrific in the ditches.

I was talking with him this past week and was curious if you all knew of any products, reasonable cost of course, that might help keep the weeds to a minimum.

The problem is that they draw water from the ditches to irrigate the crops.
Posted By: Free-Loader

Re: irrigation ditches - 06/06/2007 10:19 AM

Any type of Glyphosate product will work. Since you have water in the ditch you are limited to the types of herbicides you can use and they have to be approved for aquatic use. I'd buy a jug of Rodeo and mix 6 ounces of concentrate to a gallon of water. You also will need a sticker so get some cidekick. If you have no place to find it we have Touchdown Pro here which has the sticker in it. Usually retails for $32 per gallon. Other places sell Gly-Pro which also has the sticker in it. Take a look at your local feed stores and if no luck send me a PM.

***If you have woody plants in this ditch try some Habitat Herbicide. BASF makes it and it works great...

Re: irrigation ditches - 06/08/2007 01:44 PM

I just got back from some of these ditches and if you have submersed aquatic weeds in them you may need a different product. If they irrigate you may have a problem because there are 4-7 day waiting periods after treatment. All we saw today was curlyleaf pondweed. Should die off in the next few weeks anyway and then regenerate this fall through the winter.
Posted By: maestro

Re: irrigation ditches - 06/10/2007 10:45 PM

Yeah, these are aquatic plants. They do draw from the ditches to irrigate. I am actually up in Porter county for a few days. Send me a PM, maybe I could have you take a look?

Maestro

Re: irrigation ditches - 06/11/2007 10:10 AM

I bet they are curlyleaf pondweed. I did see some others types last weekend that may stick around longer. I sent you my number. Get some pics and post close-ups.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting