Home

lily pads

Posted By: fonz

lily pads - 05/11/2007 06:49 PM

ive got a lake that is roughly 8 acres,the lake is full of life{fish,frogs,turtles} but i have very little vegetation other than some sort of slimy moss thats on the bottom. would it be alot of trouble to put lily pads in my lake and keep them from taking over? id like to confine them to the west bank and north end,how rapidly will lily pads take over and are they easy to control? or maybe you fellas have some other sort of "floating" vegetation/cover in mind that might be easier for me to tackle? thanks
Posted By: Free-Loader

Re: lily pads - 05/14/2007 10:50 AM

If you have a shallow pond I would be careful putting anything in them. If not then a some lilypads, bulrushes, iris should be fine. Make sure if you use the fragrant water lily instead of Spatterdock. That plant looks like a lily but the leaf comes out of the water. Its a little more aggressive. See first pic below.
[Linked Image]

Use these

Bulrush,
[Linked Image]

Fragrant Water Lily
[Linked Image]

Blue Flag Iris
[Linked Image]
Posted By: fonz

Re: lily pads - 05/14/2007 08:08 PM

thank you. im going to look into the bulrush a little more.
Posted By: tobias

Re: lily pads - 05/14/2007 08:20 PM

I think Fonz knows his stuff. I have an 1 acre pond here at the house that used to be full of lilly pads. We finally got rid of them and put some "hybrid" lillies that aren't supposed to spread. WRONG!!! They don't spread as fast as regular lillies but they do spread. Just be carefull and do your research
Posted By: Free-Loader

Re: lily pads - 05/15/2007 10:44 AM

You can always take out what you don't want with herbicides. Don't be afraid of using them. With the right product and correct amount you can keep the lilies from spreading.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting