Home

Goldfish pond

Posted By: wvwhitetail

Goldfish pond - 04/30/2007 09:35 AM

I am needing a little help.I have a goldfish pond in the backyard everything looked great till we came home yesterday from camping all weekend.It was perfectly clear and could see all the way to bottom.Came home and it is completely green and have lost some koi fish.I not sure if it is from the rain or the whirly birds coming off the trees or what.Any suggestions would help.Thanks WV
Forgot pond is about 16x16 and 2 1/2 feet deep waterfall and skimmer filter.Filter has been pretty clean.And I have noticed some foaming around filter and pump.
Posted By: Free-Loader

Re: Goldfish pond - 04/30/2007 12:51 PM

You will need to start using bacteria/aeration. You shouldn't use any copper as it is very toxic to Koi. Use GreenClean or Phychomycin which is an oxidizer that kills algae.This product is labeled as an algaecide for use in lakes, ponds and aquaculture. Blue-green algae is the primary target species, but may be used for ither types of algae according to labeled rates. Dosage rates range from 3 lbs to 16.9 lbs per acre-foot of water for control of nuisance algae.

Re: Goldfish pond - 04/30/2007 01:58 PM

Free-loader,
Thanks I will see what I can find.WV

Re: Goldfish pond - 04/30/2007 05:38 PM

If you can't find anything local let me know.
Posted By: HunterEd

Re: Goldfish pond - 05/03/2007 09:07 AM

Originally posted by wvwhitetail:
I am needing a little help.I have a goldfish pond in the backyard everything looked great till we came home yesterday from camping all weekend.It was perfectly clear and could see all the way to bottom.Came home and it is completely green and have lost some koi fish.I not sure if it is from the rain or the whirly birds coming off the trees or what.Any suggestions would help.Thanks WV
Forgot pond is about 16x16 and 2 1/2 feet deep waterfall and skimmer filter.Filter has been pretty clean.And I have noticed some foaming around filter and pump.
wv,

Sorry I missed this post - don't usually look down this far! smile

Anyway, I also have a koi pond in the backyard...your problem is pretty common, AND the bain of everyone with a koi pond! Problem is the water temp is rising, but your 'desirable' plants (water lillies, etc.) haven't really gotten going yet, and therefore the 'undesirable' plants (algae) are taking advantage of the extra nurients in the water (i.e. decomposing whirlybirds!)!

While I have NO doubt that Free-Loader's suggestion will work, personally I just don't like putting any chemicals in my pond.

If you remove as much of the whirly birds (and any other organic material that you can - such as leaves left over from last fall, etc.!), add some "good" bacteria to jump start your biological filtration process, and then if you still need a little help - add a little barley straw!

Like I said, I have no doubt that there are chemicals that will work, I just have seen people get into a viscious cycle with chemicals and/or end up killing their fish! I just figure that 'Mother Nature' has been doing it for eons without chemicals, so if I can get everything in balance I should be able to too!!!

Re: Goldfish pond - 05/17/2007 01:30 PM

The Green Clean really knocked the green down but I still have real clouded water.It is alot better but still trying to get it better.
I did put in some barley bales Tuesday but if I read them right they take almost a month to start helping. What good bacteria are you suggesting to add? My plants are coming up now and lily pad has about 8 pads on it now.

Re: Goldfish pond - 05/17/2007 04:42 PM

Once your plants start growing your water should clear up. Most small pond stores sell liquid bacteria and enzymes to help clear up your water.

Try this
http://www.pondliner.com/EcoFix.htm
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting