Home

Looking for new shotgun

Posted By: RedLab

Looking for new shotgun - 01/12/2014 07:29 PM

I am in the market for a 12 ga semi auto shotgun for waterfowling. I'm looking hard at the Remington Versa max or the WinchesterSX3. Has anyone had any experience with either of these guns?
Posted By: delaney

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/12/2014 07:59 PM

We have a Winchester SX3 now for about 3 years. Actually, my wife uses it and I use my old Browning Gold. That said, I really like the SX3 and have been very satisfied with it. It really doesn't totally fit my wife but she likes that gun better then the BPS or the Gold we have or the Benelli we had. We have had no problems with the SX3 at all. I don't have any experience with the Remington.
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/12/2014 09:18 PM

Just bought a versa max this summer and love it shot light dove loads in Sept. Pheasants loads in nov. and duck and goose loads Dec and Jan not one jam yet. And on my last duck hunt dropped the butt half in the water and it was cold out and still didn't jam.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/13/2014 08:28 AM

I have shot the benelli SBE2 and it is an incredible gun.

If I was going to a semi auto, I would get this one
Posted By: Labman

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/13/2014 09:17 AM

Redlab, You finally going to break away from the pump action! Not so sure a new shot gun will improve your shooting problems, but its worth a try. Sounds like you need to invest into a good sleeping cot so you don't have to go back to the truck to take a nap when the birds start flying LOL. Check out the weight of the two guns, I know that the Rem versa max is over 8 pounds a bit heavey for my liking. Check out the latest edition of the DU mag. they have the pros and cons of several waterfowl guns. I know what I am looking at after looking that over

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/13/2014 08:08 PM

Thanks for the input everyone ( except Labman) .Yes I'm getting too old and slow to operate my pump any more and I need to be able to shoot faster to keep up with my hunting partners. LOL Going to try the Indy 1500 this weekend.
Posted By: oldman1949

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/13/2014 09:06 PM

If I remember correctly you have one of the best slide action shotguns ever made . And it was "modified" to shoot sporting clays and kill the snot out of geese to boot .
If you just have to have a auto do not rule out a SX2 . Little heavier than the SX3, but from my experience,they are like a Timex watch . Takes a licking and keeps on ticking .
Posted By: gundude

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/14/2014 09:23 AM

Get an old model 12 Winchester! Semi auto is for rookies! Better yet go with a side by side!
I don't think I even own a semi auto anymore.. if I do I never use it...

But that's just me.. I did have a Beretta about 20 some years ago and I loved that gun!
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/14/2014 02:17 PM

If I was buying a waterfowl gun it would be one of these................h.h.

[Linked Image]

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/14/2014 05:18 PM

Yes oldman I still have the model 12 and shoot it at the range and for doves. I just hate to put it through all the potential damage of taking it to the duck blind.
Posted By: oldman1949

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/14/2014 06:52 PM

I can understand that - been there and done that .
But you need to remember that duck blind use was what it was built for . And it has seen a fair share of "duck blind" use . And odds are it works better than most of the new pump guns made today .
Posted By: DEC

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/15/2014 10:13 AM

Lots of good ones out there, but I've found if you stick with the "B's" you really cannot go wrong. Browning, Beretta, and Benelli. Some have some good spin off or affiliated companies too, like the Browning/Winchester or Benelli/Franchi relationships.

Get one that fits you, shoulders right for you, and overall just feels good.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my Browning Maxus for any other shotgun at this point in my life. Been 100% reliable now since I bought it new in December of 2009.
Posted By: garman6

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/15/2014 01:47 PM

I have had the winchester supre XS for over 10 years. ITs the original of the X series. I wouldnt dream of getting rid of this gun for waterfowling, turkey, or upland birds. So I would go with the Winchester.

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/17/2014 10:47 AM

Well when u decide let us know. also if you come north to Hartford city area let me know u can stop by and shoot mine if u want.
Posted By: Bucks n Ducks

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/17/2014 07:17 PM

I think there is an article in the last DU magazine about new shotguns. Its the one with the goose landing in the snow. Might be worth a read.

I have a beretta xtrema 2 that was a DU event gun. To be honest, i don't shoot it near as well as a others in the safe. All in how it fits!

Good luck RedLab!

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/18/2014 08:36 PM

If I could just win one from the DU calendar raffle that would solve my dilemma.

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/19/2014 09:49 AM

Yea well that can only happen after I win one lol
Posted By: antlerman

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/21/2014 09:02 PM

I have a right handed Winchester SX3 in Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo that shoots 3 1/2's I am thinking of selling if you are interested. I like the gun, but I am left handed. I have never owned a left handed gun, but I am wanting to purchase one since I plan to use the same gun for many years to come. The gun is about 3 years old and looks new. Probably had about 500 shells through it. Let me know if you are interested.
Posted By: antlerman

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/22/2014 08:58 PM

I tried to send you a private message redlab, but it said your box was full. If you send me another private message with your phone number I can text you and send you pictures of the gun.

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/23/2014 11:09 AM

Sorry. InBox purged. PM sent.
Posted By: Bucks n Ducks

Re: Looking for new shotgun - 01/23/2014 07:20 PM

Keep hoping on the calendar raffle. I saw the 2015 calendar today! The fun goes on...
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting