Home

concealed weaponry

Posted By: coolbreeze

concealed weaponry - 03/02/2016 07:15 AM

I recently applied and received my concealed carry permit. I've hunted with long guns my entire life, but have very little experience with handguns. At this point I'm looking at compact semi auto 38's manufactured by Ruger and KAHR. I also understand it will take considerable practice to become proficient in the use of any handgun. Any help, suggestions or recommendations will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance. cool
Posted By: BowBo

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/02/2016 07:59 AM

Please don't call it a "concealed carry permit" wink

I open carry!

And good luck!
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/02/2016 08:07 AM

Ditto....

No such thing in Indiana. Its a license to carry a handgun. smile
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/02/2016 09:52 AM

Buy a handgun that bests fits your hand so you might wanna try handling many types of handguns to
get the one that best fits you...

Kahr makes a very nice handgun... I own a Kahr E9 (no longer made) and love it... Have never had a problem with it and shot many types of 9mm with no feeding problems...

My advice though, if you do buy a Kahr, go ahead and buy the 40 cal since it is the same price as the 9mm... Seen two Kahr's at the Cabelas store in Noblesville and both were the same model just different caliber and both were the same price...

Good luck and lets us know what you purchase...
Posted By: jjas

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/02/2016 10:29 AM

I would look for a handgun that you feel you can conceal not only during the months when you wear a jacket, but during the Summer months as well. A pistol won't do you a whole lot of good if it's sitting @ home when you need it.

BTW, there are a lot of articles claiming the demise of the .40 S&W. Is it true? I have no idea, but if you google "is the .40 dead" you will see a lot of articles on the subject. FWIW, when Ruger brought out their new American pistol they chambered it in 9mm and 45acp only....No .40 S&W.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/02/2016 11:26 AM

Since you want a .380, Ruger LCP's are hard to beat for price, function and ease of carry. Dont worry so much about accuracy as these .380 Autos are meant to be used up close and personal. They are basically point and shoot type weapons. FYI, if you dont get one that is easy to carry the gun ends up being at home more than in your pocket. h.h.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/02/2016 01:21 PM

Look at the Smith and Wesson 642 Airweight. It's a .38 that's easy to conceal if you want to.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/02/2016 05:42 PM

And look at holsters as to how you want to carry. I am lookin for a paddle holster now use to use an inside the pants holster and carry in the small of my back but that is no longer comfortable to me
Posted By: Moose1am

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/11/2016 10:08 PM

The Ruger LC9S is a nice 9 mm. It's very accurate and light weight and is dependable. You can even add a laser to it to help you aim without looking though the sights. Or not.

Shooting a pistol is not that hard to do. It takes a little practice but it's not hard to do.

If you want to conceal your weapon and still be comfortable think about your wardrobe. A big shirt helps to conceal the weapon and holster even if you wear it Outside the waist belt. OWB.
Posted By: Double B

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/12/2016 07:21 AM

I like that 642, 5 for sure and no ftf or fte's.....ever.
Posted By: Ruger Man

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/12/2016 09:15 AM

I carry a Glock 36 because I hit what I aim at. smile
Posted By: coolbreeze

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/19/2016 08:42 AM

Thanks guys for your input. I ended up choosing the Ruger LCP.380. In addition also purchased an ankle holster along with one that fits inside the waistband. Thanks again. cool
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/19/2016 09:01 AM

Good choice!
Posted By: BowBo

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/19/2016 11:10 AM

Congrats!
That should serve your purpose well.
And ya can't go wrong with the Rugers!
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: concealed weaponry - 03/19/2016 01:31 PM

Originally posted by coolbreeze:
Thanks guys for your input. I ended up choosing the Ruger LCP.380. In addition also purchased an ankle holster along with one that fits inside the waistband. Thanks again. cool
Every person I know (which is a lot) who have bought one has not regretting doing so. You will like carrying this gun.

I put in a heavier recoil spring and a Hogue rubber grip. It fits my hand better and the spring tamed down the muzzle jump. Helped a lot in accuracy. h.h.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting