Home

Our fun day yesterday

Posted By: bean

Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 07:12 PM

Got a call for our first cut-out of the year. Luke is on Spring Break, so we suited up and got-r-did.

Luke is on the ground putting frames loaded with comb and brood in the hive body.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a pretty good day. I took 6 stings. Luke took 4. Brad took 4. Not bad considering we had 30,000 bees flying around.

They are now home in my backyard near the garden.
Posted By: delaney

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 07:17 PM

That is cool.
Posted By: delaney

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 07:18 PM

Originally posted by delaney:
That is cool. How long did that take.
Messing up here. How long did that take?
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 07:46 PM

Nice work B!

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 08:21 PM

[b] That is cool. How long did that take.
Messing up here. How long did that take? [/b]
Took us about 3 1/2 hours. Fairly easy removal due to where it was located.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 08:30 PM

was you able to see the queen??

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 08:37 PM

Did not see the queen although we think we have her in the hive body. I will give them a few days and do an inspection to see if we see her or have eggs.

Right now they are orienting well to their new home and already bringing in pollen.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 09:24 PM

Good job!
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 09:33 PM

Cool not for me though
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 09:51 PM

Keeping bees is something I always wanted to do. Looks like you had a good time doing it. h.h.

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 10:00 PM

Originally posted by hornharvester:
Keeping bees is something I always wanted to do. Looks like you had a good time doing it. h.h.
You should Mike. I wish I had done it years earlier. Amazing lil creatures.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 10:04 PM

That is pretty cool bean!!! After about 1 sting, and I'd had the wasp and hornet spray out though!!!! After 2 stings, I would have been swelled up like a toad. At least I did when I was a kid. Haven't been stung in 40 years!!!

Question: you take the comb out, and the bees stay with it?? Or do you collect the bees first and take out the comb??

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Yaz:
That is pretty cool bean!!! After about 1 sting, and I'd had the wasp and hornet spray out though!!!! After 2 stings, I would have been swelled up like a toad. At least I did when I was a kid. Haven't been stung in 40 years!!!

Question: you take the comb out, and the bees stay with it?? Or do you collect the bees first and take out the comb??
What we did was open up the hive and then used a beevac to suck up the bees into a box. This gets the numbers way down and lets us remove the comb quicker. The beevac is a good tool to use and has very little casualties. We cut the brood comb out and put them in frames secured by rubber bands (the bees will eventually eat them away and pull the outside). Luke put the frames loaded with brood in a deep hive body. We removed the honey comb and put it in a tub to feed back to the bees after they are relocated. The bees reoriented themselves to the hive body with brood and box of bees we trapped. Last night after dark I closed them up and drove home with them in my Escape. All the bees had oriented to the hive box and none were in the open now empty cavity. last night they were all covering the brood to keep it warm and were bringing in pollen today as well as feeding on the honey comb we removed.

Very interesting process.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/02/2015 10:37 PM

That is a neat process bean! Thanks for the education.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/03/2015 08:42 AM

If they are bringing in pollen you have the queen good job I have done one cut out didn't like it how far you travel and charge??

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/03/2015 01:02 PM

We did this removal in Liberty, IN and it is about 30 minutes away. This is about as far as we want to go (give or take). This job was done for an elderly lady for nothing as she is getting ready to move. We got the bees and the experience of doing another removal. It all works out.
Posted By: Gilley

Re: Our fun day yesterday - 04/04/2015 09:27 PM

That's cool bean and I do love honey!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting