Home

Spur necklaces....

Posted By: wtlhaven

Spur necklaces.... - 05/27/2014 10:30 AM

The boys have been hounding me about taking some of their turkey spurs and making necklaces out of them. Tristan has been on me for some time actually, so I decided I better get on it. Did a little “googling” about them, but never seen anything we liked. Ended up finding the color beads and braid the boys liked and I threw these together. Pretty happy with how they turned out. Most of all, the boys loved them and that’s all that matters.

Tristan's....

[Linked Image]

Hunter's....

[Linked Image]

Tanner's....

[Linked Image]

And, ole Dad even got one.... laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: delaney

Re: Spur necklaces.... - 05/27/2014 10:45 AM

Very nice and pretty cool for the kids to have something you put together for them.
Posted By: gundude

Re: Spur necklaces.... - 05/27/2014 10:47 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Spur necklaces.... - 05/27/2014 11:50 AM

Cool!
Posted By: cedarthicket

Re: Spur necklaces.... - 05/27/2014 01:07 PM

I like them! Nothing "sissy" about those necklaces! I was wondering how you went about preparing the spurs and attaching them to the necklace "string/braid."

Re: Spur necklaces.... - 05/28/2014 02:33 PM

Thanks guys!!!

Cedar, I used a bench grinder to “rough” off the excess bone. Once I got them even, I took a chainsaw file to round off and shape the remaining bone. Then I had to file out the hole in the bone a bit to accept the silver bead. Once it was opened enough, I popped it in the hole and used a 2 part sculpting epoxy (Quick Steel or something similar would probably work here also) to fill in the void between the bead and bone. Once it was set up it was ready to slide on the braid.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cedarthicket

Re: Spur necklaces.... - 05/28/2014 04:55 PM

Thanks for taking the time to get extra pictures and explain the process. I will definitely be saving spurs (and sections of attached bone) from future toms I harvest.

I suspect your boys wear their new necklaces often. If I were their age I certainly would! And, even at my age I would wear one -- on special occasions.

Re: Spur necklaces.... - 05/29/2014 05:16 AM

Not a problem. Glad to help! Hope you have as much fun making them as I did. And yes, the boys wear theirs all the time now. I was skeptical about letting them wear them to school with the way people react over everything anymore, but they were fine.

Oh BTW, I picked everything but the 3mm lobster claw clasps up from Hobby Lobby. The claps I did have to order online.
Posted By: gundude

Re: Spur necklaces.... - 05/29/2014 06:10 AM

Kids education doesn't come from school.. wear them with pride! Nice job!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting