Home

Best day in the woods ever.....

Posted By: wtlhaven

Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 10:37 AM

Had an AWESOME day in the woods with my boys yesterday. The morning started off at first light with several birds talking. Soon after fly down, we had a hen with 2 big gobblers headed our way. Unfortunately there was something they didn't like about the set and they kept their distance to about 60 yards and skirted our set. Around 9:00 we were able to get a lone bird interested. He worked out in front of the decoys at about 50 yards and just paced back and forth. It wasn't until a lone hen came out to our left that he would break and go toward her cutting the distance between us some. Hunter was up for the first shot since he was after his first bird. He let the 20 gauge bark, but unfortunately it didn't hit it's mark. I'm thinking now that the miss was for a reason as not an hour later we had a couple longbeards working their way toward us down the ridge top. Once they saw the decoys, the one bird put on a show strutting most of the way in. Their path would lead them right directly in front of the blind. The boys readied themselves and we watched as the birds got to 25 yards and I told them "On 3 you both shoot". I let out a few loud cuts and they both raised their heads. "One.... Two.... THREE".......... BOOOOOM!!!!.... Both birds dropped and the celebration was on!!!!

[Linked Image]

Once we got home, got the birds tagged in and cleaned up, Tanner told me he wanted to go. So, about 3:30 we all packed up, including my wife, and headed back out. We eased our way in and was just getting in the blind and noticed a couple birds out a couple hundred yards or so. It was a couple hens. Then Tristan spots another bird to our left coming up over the hill about a hundred yards away, but feeding away from us, and it was a jake. I hadn't even got a call out yet, so I just let out a couple yelps with just my mouth which got his attention. One more yelp and he was on his way to us. Tanner got ready and when it got to 20 yards I stopped him with a couple cuts and Tanner dropped him.

[Linked Image]

Yesterday was an awesome day for us. It was filled a lot of great memories made and a lot of firsts. Hunter and Tanner both killing their first birds, first time taking two birds at the same time, and it was the first time my wife had seen any of the boys shoot something.... AWESOME AWESOME DAY!!!!!!
Posted By: whitetaildave24

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 10:58 AM

Now that was an awesome family outing. Congrats to all involved!!
Posted By: Juggler

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 11:00 AM

Wow! Very impressive, congrats to all.
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 11:13 AM

Fantastic....congrats to all three lads and to Dad as well!

Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 11:22 AM

Wow is all I can say bet it can't get any better than that for a dad! Definately something them boys will never forget either congrats to all
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 11:54 AM

Congrats bud!
Posted By: DawnPatrol

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 12:31 PM

eek eek eek amazing stuff right there!
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 03:22 PM

Congrats these young bucks are having a great season so far!
Posted By: delaney

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 04:42 PM

Something the boys will remember forever, Very nice.
Posted By: HoosierGooseHunter

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 08:29 PM

Scudder that is awesome !!!!! congrats boys excellent job!!!!!
Posted By: Scarlett Dew

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 08:36 PM

This family kills more big stuff in one day than most hunters will see all year!!

Heck Yeah!!! cool
Posted By: fullrut

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 08:42 PM

Congrats on a great day of hunting!
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/21/2013 09:27 PM

congrats to the young men. Thanks for sharing such a great hunt.
Posted By: pav

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/22/2013 05:20 AM

That's an amazing day in the woods!

Congrats!
Posted By: wtlhaven

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/22/2013 01:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!!!! Saturday will definetly go down as my most exciting and memorable day out hunting. Not sure how that day could ever be topped..... VERY PROUD OF MY BOYS!!!!
Posted By: powderfinger

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/22/2013 08:31 PM

WOW! What a day. Congrats dad!
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/23/2013 08:38 AM

Well.....I don't know what to say, other than WOW! I would have like to have been there to seen it!! I bet I know what's for dinner!!! Congrats to the WHOLE family!!!
Posted By: TheRomer

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/23/2013 11:55 AM

Now that is just awesome, Congrats to them all on great looking birds and kudos to you Steve for getting them out in the woods
Posted By: Hunter Dan

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/23/2013 02:31 PM

That is AWESOME!! Congrats...
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 04/28/2013 10:13 AM

Way to go lil fellers.... BIG CONGRATS!!
Nice quick season for the whole fam!
Posted By: Jimmy Buffett

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 05/03/2013 10:37 AM

Doesn't get better than that!!
Posted By: kevinhunter

Re: Best day in the woods ever..... - 05/06/2013 06:28 PM

Way to go! Congrats! smile
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting