Home

Scouting new turkey areas

Posted By: comfortconnect

Scouting new turkey areas - 02/27/2019 03:32 PM

I've been out twice looking at new areas and walking a trail. Moving onto newer area with close crop fields or grass area. I haven't seen 1 bird in the fields? Is it still early in the season. Does not seeing any birds in the fields mean they are feeding only in the big woods?
Posted By: Magnum hunter

Re: Scouting new turkey areas - 02/27/2019 05:24 PM

Are you in an area with birds? Here lately been seeing the bachelor groups of toms come in to the fields and feed during morning and evenings. I'm sure they are mid day too as well as when there's a rain. Not much hen action. I assume they are still laying low in the timber. But the toms and jakes have been hitting the fields and feeding quite often here lately.
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Scouting new turkey areas - 02/28/2019 02:26 PM

They are highly unpredictable this time of year. Food sources & roosting cover I think are the prime factors. Where I hunt, a large number of hens & toms spend their entire spring & summer here, and then the hens disappear completely in fall and stay gone for the whole winter. I don't know where they go. But in late winter, all the hens slowly return....starting about now. But there's usually a group of toms (14 this year) that stay around all winter. So it would seem that wherever you are seeing them right now is liable to change in the coming weeks. Of course there is still plenty of time to figure it out. With Indiana's very late hunting-season start date, they're going to become much more visible, long before the season starts.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting