Home

jake decoy project

Posted By: 76chevy

jake decoy project - 01/23/2015 04:02 PM

I did a little project with my 4 year old son. He wanted to make a jake decoy using a turkey fan I had frozen from last year's bird.

April 2014
[Linked Image]

1.) cleaned all meat and skin off then and dried with 20 mule team borax, dried for about a week clamped down flat on cardboard

2.) added JB weld to secure base

3.) dried overnight they spray painted black and drilled 7/64th inch hole to mount to decoy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Final product!!

Cant wait until April and hopefully we shoot a gobbler off this decoy!!

January 2015

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: jake decoy project - 01/23/2015 04:40 PM

Looks great!
Posted By: delaney

Re: jake decoy project - 01/23/2015 05:01 PM

Looks good Justin.
Posted By: Gilley

Re: jake decoy project - 01/23/2015 10:41 PM

That ought to bring them in...Love the Excalibur
Posted By: Double B

Re: jake decoy project - 01/24/2015 08:07 AM

Looking good. Only thing I might do is trim that beard short so they can see it sticking out. Or you could double it and rubber band/zip tie it short. That and the strutting jake fan outta bring em in ready to flog. Good luck to you guys this spring.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: jake decoy project - 01/24/2015 09:52 AM

Great point. I actually did this last night after I took the photos. =)

thanks!!
Good luck to you as well.

Originally posted by Double B:
Looking good. Only thing I might do is trim that beard short so they can see it sticking out. Or you could double it and rubber band/zip tie it short. That and the strutting jake fan outta bring em in ready to flog. Good luck to you guys this spring.
Posted By: kevinhunter

Re: jake decoy project - 01/28/2015 04:40 PM

Justin, I made the exact type of decoy with one of my real Jake fan mounts about 4-5 years ago! It has brought in a few dead big ole' tom's since that slight modification to a real Jake fan! The real fan looks so much better than the fake one that came with it! I agree with the shorter beard as well, makes it more looking like a subordinate jake gobbler then. It looks like you had a lot a fun with the project and with a fantastic lil helper as well. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do with it this upcoming turkey season! Good luck my friend and great pics! smile
Posted By: BOWn Hunter

Re: jake decoy project - 02/25/2015 06:27 PM

I was just thinking today that I should take my old fan mount and add it to my jake decoy before the season! Looks like yours turned out great!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting