Home

Persimmon Experiment

Posted By: Steiny

Persimmon Experiment - 07/08/2014 03:26 PM

Harvested some seeds from Persimmons last fall from an area I hunt well south of home. Followed some instructions I found on line to put them up thru the winter then planted this spring.
Pleased to say I have about 30 nice 8" tall seedlings popped up in my garden. Plan is to baby them for a year or two, then plant them on the farm (in deer / rabbit proof cages) and see if I can get them going.
They don't grow around me, on the northern edge of their climate zone. Will be fun to see if I can get them going.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 07/08/2014 04:32 PM

Dont let them get too big they have tape roots and are sometimes difficult to transplant I would dig some up this fall transplant and put a cage around them and see how that works for you
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 07/08/2014 09:33 PM

You can always buy them in the spring from DNR:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/3620.htm

Jack

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 08/07/2014 11:59 AM

So, these little trees are now about a foot tall growing in one of my garden raised bed planters. Should I transplant this fall, or wait till next spring or fall?
I will be caging them to protect from deer, rabbits and rodents.
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 08/07/2014 12:46 PM

I'd wait until spring.

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 08/08/2014 08:51 AM

Wait till they go dormant and experiment with a couple wouldn't hurt but be sure and protect them from voles and rabbits and such.. I am not 100% positive but I think at the nursery's they dig them in the fall for a spring sale anyway
Posted By: Shelby County Hunter

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 08/11/2014 02:29 PM

How long does it take a persimmon tree to fruit? I planted 6 trees about 15 years ago and none of them has produced any fruit yet. They are about 25 ft tall and 6 in in diameter. I got the starts from a seed catalog.

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 08/11/2014 02:45 PM

I have some 7or 8 years old. One Bloomed two years in a row now but no fruit I saw some 6 years old with fruit I am hoping next year. so I would say 6 or 7 years Thing is you have to have Male and Female
Posted By: Shelby County Hunter

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 08/11/2014 02:59 PM

I know you have to have a male and female, but I thought if the tree was not a self polinating one you only had to have 2 trees. I would think out of 6 trees I would have both sexes. Some of them have a small white bloom in the spring but no fruit. I would think after 15 years they would have done something.

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 08/11/2014 05:23 PM

Thats what mine do and I would think the same Mine put up root suckers 20 foot from the tree this year a seemingly healthy tree

Re: Persimmon Experiment - 08/11/2014 06:59 PM

Good info guys, thanks.
Just an experiment, and all I've got in it is a little time so far. Will be fun to see what happens, and awesome if I get a few to bear fruit.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting