Home

Soybeans

Posted By: hornharvester

Soybeans - 05/30/2014 05:19 PM

Spent the day planting a food plot with soybeans. Ran out of beans but luckily the neighbor had some left over and gave me a half bushel. Mid August I will disc whats left of them up and plant turnips/groundhog radishes. h.h.
Posted By: delaney

Re: Soybeans - 05/30/2014 05:33 PM

Sounds like a good day in the plot. I saw a couple bags of soybeans for sale today on craigslist. Post up some pictures later in the summer on how the deer are eating on them.
Posted By: bean

Re: Soybeans - 05/30/2014 06:12 PM

Deer will not eat turnips here. I would leave the beans up until gone.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Soybeans - 05/30/2014 07:06 PM

Last year the deer kept the beans ate down to 6" or less but I didnt plant enough. This year I set the planter on high and planted between the rows. I planted 3 times the beans I did last year so we will see what the deer do, if they mow them off again then I will plant turnips again.

Last year I planted the radishes and turnips side by side to see what the deer preferred and the seem to eat both about the same. h.h.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Soybeans - 05/30/2014 07:46 PM

I Know where there are 5 bags roundup ready beans could probably be bought
Posted By: Steiny

Re: Soybeans - 06/02/2014 07:16 AM

I got about five acres of beans planted this weekend, need a little rain now.

I would not disc down those beans if they have lots of feed on them come late summer / fall. Deer will leave them alone once the leaves start yellowing, then come back and hammer the bean pods in the winter weather, good to hunt over in muzzy and late archery season.

Ive seen several on here post that deer won't eat turnips and experinced that myself the first year I planted them. You kind of have to train the deer to use your food plots. If you plant turnips and beans year after year, they will learn, and you will see more and more use.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting