Home

Turnip Plots?

Posted By: Steiny

Turnip Plots? - 04/29/2014 06:25 AM

What do you guys do with your turnip plots when un-planted so they don't get too weed choked?

Do you disc a couple times, spray with roundup, or plant in a cover crop?

Won't plant turnips till about August, so that gives all spring and summer for the weeds to take over.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Turnip Plots? - 04/29/2014 08:39 AM

Last year I planted soybeans and by mid August the deer had eaten them to the ground. I disc up the bean stems then planted turnips, in mid September I planted winter wheat around the turnips.

Most of the time I plow under the winter wheat and old turnip patch, then spray roundup two weeks before I plant turnips in mid August, then disc and plant again. I usually always plant winter wheat around the turnips or inside the turnips. This combo seems to keep the deer coming.

This year I plan on planting soybeans again but instead of using a two row corn planter Im using a drill for more coverage and thicker beans. Last year I didnt have enough planted and the deer mowed them to the ground. h.h.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Turnip Plots? - 04/29/2014 08:45 AM

I use Buckwheat a lot plant it in the spring and then turnips in the fall
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Turnip Plots? - 04/29/2014 09:45 AM

Another way to go is plant Roundup Soybeans in May, and then in late Aug or early Sept use a hand-held broadcaster to throw your turnip seed right into the standing beans, just before they drop their leaves. If we get good August/Sept rains (unlike last year!), the turnip seed will germinate just fine. Seed it a little heavier than you would if you were working the soil.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Turnip Plots? - 04/29/2014 06:50 PM

I did this last year, the deer only ate the soybeans. Left the turnips...maybe I planted the wrong variety...

Originally posted by sticksender:
Another way to go is plant Roundup Soybeans in May, and then in late Aug or early Sept use a hand-held broadcaster to throw your turnip seed right into the standing beans, just before they drop their leaves. If we get good August/Sept rains (unlike last year!), the turnip seed will germinate just fine. Seed it a little heavier than you would if you were working the soil.
Posted By: Steiny

Re: Turnip Plots? - 04/30/2014 08:10 PM

Not really interested in mixing them in with my soybeans, have plenty of acreage to work with and prefer to grow separate turnip and bean plots.

Might try the buckwheat. Does that choke out the weed growth? Any benefit to the soils?
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Turnip Plots? - 05/01/2014 09:23 AM

buckwheat is aleopathic it controls weeds well deer graze it ,honeybees love it , Quail and Turkeys eat the seed and hunt insects in it a really good for everything plant
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting