Home

.32 cal cva squirrel rifle

Posted By: deerhunter986

.32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/16/2017 06:35 PM

Well after this gun was passed on to me almost 18 years ago I finally shot it this weekend. .315 round ball 20gr of pyrodex and a cut up tshirt I "lubed" with vegetable oil, read this on a site some guys do this that make their on patches, not really as accurate as I thought to be but I think my patch is to thin cause all I found had burn holes around the ball. Find a thicker tshirt and mess with powder charge might be in buisness
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/16/2017 06:56 PM

Cheap patch and lube is old pillow ticking, jeans or any tight woven cotton cloth cut into squares and rubbed with crisco veg shortening. A simple spit patch will work too. h.h.

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/16/2017 07:33 PM

HH I read that denim usually to thick and don't work that well but that is what I read I have no experience with these sidelocks. Dad told me they had some kind of patching that was strip and they started ball and cut off with knife is what I was doin. Think I might try the jeans this week. Here is a pic of my group center punch was a fluke I believe
[Linked Image]

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/17/2017 08:09 AM

Denim is tight for sure, an old flannel shirt will make good patches or go to Walmart and buy a yard of pillow ticking, wash it and then cut into strips, cut at the muzzle like you were doing. I like mink oil for patches and conical but Crisco veg shortening works good. Recovered pillow tickin /Mink oil patches out of my .54 look good enough to shoot again. A spit patch works real good also. When you get the load right and can hit a squirrel's eye at 25 yards you're ready for the woods. wink h.h.
Posted By: parson

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/17/2017 09:24 AM

I bought a yard of pillow ticking at a fabric shop many years ago. It worked fine for patching my .45 and .50 cal. rifles. And, I probably won't live long enough to shoot it all up.

Also, experiment with the load. Sometimes a small adjustment will make a big difference.

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/19/2017 07:51 PM

So a flannel shirt makes no difference and 30 gr of powder makes no difference hit bullseye very first shot then everything shot left again I will say they tightened up a little bit but don't think it's squirrel killin material
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/19/2017 10:38 PM

Bad rifle, you should sell it to me wink
Posted By: bean

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/20/2017 09:04 AM

Originally posted by trapperDave:
Bad rifle, you should sell it to me wink
haha

I use Ox-Yoke Originals pre-lubed patches 0.010. When I went to the muzzleloading shoot at Friendship last Summer, I had a really nice guy actually calibrate what my .32 would use as a starting point. I also use just 20 grains of powder with a .310 ball. This seems to work fine for me.

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/20/2017 11:06 AM

Bean I think that's what I am goin to do get different round balls and pre cut patches. Dave if it wasn't a gun my dad put together I may. It's fun to shoot anyways and my 4 year old likes to shoot it. Can the age of pyrodex have anything to do with this? Watched a video where new powder tightened up groups
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/20/2017 12:51 PM

You hang on to that rifle!

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 01/21/2017 12:18 PM

deerhunter986..if you really want to get into shooting bp go to this site..
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/portal/index.php?

and google the dutch schultz method. If you have the time to do a little reading you will be a better shooter using bp rifles. h.h.
Posted By: RoadKill1948

Re: .32 cal cva squirrel rifle - 02/03/2017 10:46 AM

hornharvester's suggestion to study dutch's method is gold. I've had a couple of CVA's, a T/C and Green Mountain. With a little bit of Dutch's tuning method, they all shot very well. For economy, single 0 buckshot with lightly lubed patch has done quite well. Too much lube can destroy groups.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting