Home

Best muzzleloader?

Posted By: Luke the Provider

Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 01:23 PM

I'm planning on saving up my money to buy a muzzleloader for myself so I don't have to use my dads anymore. Which one do you guys think is the best?
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 02:21 PM

CVA wolf does all I ask of it and at about $179 it is priced right.

http://cva.com/Wolf-Rifle-from-CVA.php

I can get 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds off the bench using Blackhorn 209 and Hornady SST bullets.

If you really wanted to save up for a top of the line gun, I would look closely at the same model BowBo just bought. Nitride coated and looks sweet!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...on=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100200

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 02:55 PM

I held the one BowBo has, it is pretty light and feels great but saving up $550-$600 will be hard laugh

I will go and look at the CVA wolf sometime soon. After Christmas i might have enough money to get it if I want to. Thanks

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 02:56 PM

Plus if I have a great gun like the one BowBo has, I'll have to get a good scope to fit it laugh scopes cost a ton also!
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 03:19 PM

The best one is the one that fits you, and works best for your needs. Look at several before you decide. There are pros and cons for each.

Scopes aren't that much...if ya know the right people.... :rolleyes: wink laugh
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 04:34 PM

I'd just tell the old man you are taking his, and he needs to go find his own!!!! That'll save you a bunch of money to spend on your girl friends!!! laugh laugh

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 04:38 PM

laugh laugh
Posted By: Double B

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 05:25 PM

Pick a few up for fit and feel and don't turn it down because it's used, just look em over real good. They'll go down in price soon if you know who I mean....big box stores, online clearance sales, guys needing some cash, etc. Your money will go farther after new years. We know you got good taste cuz you sure liked that thumb hole TC that was for sale in the general store! I'd tell you to pick my old favorite TC or Knights but I think a twist out breech plug and 209 primer is the way to start now. CVA Wolf is a solid pick, and really accurate for the price.
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 07:34 PM

Can't go wrong with a CVA... I own two of them (Apollo and Optima)... I haven't used them in probably almost ten years but they are nice...

But Weed is right... Get the one that BEST FITS you... But for the value, CVA is probably the best way to go, cause after all, it is a muzzleloader and you're only gonna get one shot in most cases...
Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 07:42 PM

Luke I bought my first one after new year almost 14 years ago when I was 16 I believe. I bought it at the old galyans store before dicks bought them out it was a cva hunterbolt they don't make them anymore. Gun cost $100 and I put a $200 scope on it. I bought a cva optima pro magnum when they sold them discounted when they discontinued that model. If I was to get another I would buy a wolf just because of the price. Get you a bushnell banner dusk to dawn 3-9x40 they run around $100 and for a cheap scope I have one on my expensive gun and for the last 8 years it has kept zero
Posted By: bean

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/07/2015 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Yaz:
I'd just tell the old man you are taking his, and he needs to go find his own!!!! That'll save you a bunch of money to spend on your girl friends!!! laugh laugh
Shush He does not need any ideas plus he is doing this on his own.

Great input guys. It will help him make a decision.

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/08/2015 07:35 AM

the TC Impact is the other one you might consider, great gun!

Good time to be a muzzleloader hunter, lots of great options available today!

https://tcarms.com/firearms/muzzleloaders/impact
Posted By: Magnum hunter

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/08/2015 09:35 AM

Luke I have the CVA wolf 50 caliber muzzleloader and it is stainless steal. I got it for 207.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods w/ a scope. It's a great gun.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/08/2015 09:43 AM

Luke,

There are all kinds of muzzleloaders on the market and they pretty much all will do the samething. I would suggest you go and look at them and buy the one that fits you and your budget the best. h.h.
Posted By: KayakHntr

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/08/2015 11:27 AM

I bought a used cva optima a few years back and like it a lot. Should be able to find some good deals on muzzleloaders in the next few months new and used. With whatever brand you decide to go with, go with one that has a break action, a lot easier to maintain.

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/08/2015 01:23 PM

After I go look at it, I'm thinking about getting the T/C impact

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/08/2015 01:44 PM

Does anyone have one and would like to tell me if they like it?

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/08/2015 01:56 PM

Im going to shoot one tomorrow. A friend bought a new one and I got the scope mount for him today. Let your know how it does tomorrow. h.h.

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/08/2015 03:07 PM

Thanks, make sure you eat a sandwich from Arby's after ya shoot laugh

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/09/2015 02:12 PM

At buds gunshop they have a CVA Accura for $351,,, that's a good gun isn't it?

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/09/2015 02:34 PM

YES!

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/09/2015 02:41 PM

yes for sure. Step up in quality from the Wolf.

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/09/2015 02:53 PM

Luke, We shot the T/C today and it shot good with 100 grain of black powder and 245 Powerbelt. The gun is on the light weight side for a mz loader but one nice thing was the stock has a 1" piece that comes out to make the stock shorter which might be good for you. He bought it on sale at walmart for 279.00. h.h.
Posted By: antiwheeze

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/09/2015 09:38 PM

I love my CVA Wolf. Great bang for the buck!
Like 76 says BlackHorn 209 is very accurate.
If I were to step up, think I would try to find a used Savage smokeless. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/11/2015 09:38 PM

Gotta friend thats gonna sell me his muzzleloader. Its a TC Triumph with a great nikon scope on it. I looked at the gun on MidWayUsa and it has 4.9 out of 5 stars with 14 reviews. He's selling it to me for $350. Anyone ever shot one of these? if so, please tell me how it feels/ if its smooth when you shoot it. also please tell me if its easy to clean...

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/12/2015 06:49 PM

I used a camo weather shield triumph this weekend and have shot it a few times but belongs to a buddy now. Shoots very accurately with 250 grain bullets (we have been using xtp's) and 100 grains 777. Twist out breech plug is a piece of cake to remove. I may end up making a trade for the one I've been toting. Has a 250 bdc nikon on it with long 5" eye relief, which will help you. Non adjustable stock with a thick limbsaver pad. I has a long barrel on it when compared to a cva wolf. Light weight and very nice! Let me know if you want to know something specific about it.

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/13/2015 08:59 AM

One more thing Luke, the length of pull measure is 14 1/2" with the Sims pad on it and the trigger cocked on the triumph. I was messing with it this morning and wanted to pass that along. You may be able to take off the pad and use a different buttplate to shorten it up if needed. (Not sure how big an ol boy are ya!) But just make sure you can comfortably mount the gun and see through the scope. The nikon bdc has long eye relief and that will help you to not get kissed by your scope. .....voice of experience here! Lemme know if you have any questions on it, sitting right here.

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/13/2015 06:03 PM

TC makes a good one!!

Try the Blackhorn 209 powder though, I bet you like it. I sure don't miss my 777 pelets since I made the switch. Use the federal 209A primers with it.

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/27/2015 09:05 PM

I have a friend who is giving me a CVA optima elite for free..... i know that they don't make this gun anymore. it also changes out barrels, which are hard to find since they don't make them anymore, I'm suppose to get it around January 10th, so i can't wait!!
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/28/2015 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Luke the Provider:
I have a friend who is giving me a CVA optima elite for free..... i know that they don't make this gun anymore. it also changes out barrels, which are hard to find since they don't make them anymore, I'm suppose to get it around January 10th, so i can't wait!!
Wow, lucky you! Great friend you have there.... You will like this muzzleloader.... I like my Optima even though I haven't shot it in a long time...

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 12/28/2015 08:54 AM

I know where there is a new in the package .243 Winchester Bergara barrel, stainless, fluted for $179.00 or about that price for that gun. Not sure of the price but its something close to that. h.h.

The barrel looks like this one but fits your Optima Elite.

http://www.cva.com/CVA-Store-View.php?id=261
Posted By: RedLab

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 01/18/2016 08:08 PM

I have a H&R Huntsman that I really like. Good shooter, easy to carry and I like the way the primer cap system works. Inexpensive also.
Posted By: bean

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 01/19/2016 04:58 PM

Got his "new to him" loader today. Topped with a banner.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 01/19/2016 07:00 PM

Looks like a meat maker smile

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 01/19/2016 07:59 PM

Sweet!

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 01/22/2016 02:26 PM

nice looking gun!!

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 01/22/2016 08:58 PM

Nice piece! That will definitely do the job. Hope you make a bunch of memories with it.

Re: Best muzzleloader? - 01/25/2016 09:23 PM

Sweet!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting