Home

What grain of bullet?

Posted By: Magnum hunter

What grain of bullet? - 11/25/2015 08:42 AM

Okay guys, I use powerbelts in my muzzleloader. I have a 50 caliber muzzleloader. With that, I shoot 223 grain bullets, well have been. A couple buddies of mine use the 295 grain bullets, and have shot deer with them but have never found them, while a few other buddies of mine use the 223 grain powerbelts and the 245 and have easily killed deer. What do you guys prefer using?
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/25/2015 09:32 AM

Magnum,

Its the placement of the shot that kills.

All bullets will kill a deer if you select a good shot. I suspect your friend's made bad shots and their bullet choice had nothing to do with the deer being lost. h.h.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/25/2015 09:35 AM

I also shoot the 295 powerbelts and have never not dropped a deer in its tracks. Have never lost one, but every deer ive shot with a muzzleloader has been within 100 yards and all broadside also.
Posted By: Double B

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/25/2015 10:24 AM

Hi Magnum, I've shot power belts in the heavier weights and got good results before but lean towards a good 45 sabot in 250-260 grain bullet and 90-100 gr loose powder now. Barnes 250mz is a very good choice for hunting. And about the same dollar per shot cost as your PB's. If you want to shoot alot more for less money get 100 .451 250/260gr Hornady/Speer bullets and 100 black sabots and you have about forty cents a shot. I've tried a bunch and really like Barnes for max expansion, accuracy and weight retention. I'll send you a pic of some recovered Barnes if you want to see. Try some MMP EZ Load sabots they will be easier to load. But it goes without saying you can use a Barrett 50 cal and if you make a bad shot........well its like my Dad always used to say, a poor worker blames his tools!
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/25/2015 10:24 AM

496gr. conical
Posted By: Yaz

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/25/2015 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Weedhopper:
496gr. conical
He didn't ask what you use for BOAT ANCHORS!!!! :p laugh

Like HH said, put the bullet where it belongs, and it kills deer. 250 gr. Barns expanders for me all the way. Will never even look at another ML bullet!
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/25/2015 02:53 PM

Agree Yaz. 250 Barnes MZ or spitfire @ 2400fps out of my Savage 10ML-I puts the smack down on them. Its so accurate and deadly I quit using it the last couple years and tried other guns for a little more challenge. h.h.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/25/2015 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Yaz:
Originally posted by Weedhopper:
[b] 496gr. conical
He didn't ask what you use for BOAT ANCHORS!!!! :p laugh
[/b]
But you saw how those boat anchors grouped!! cool wink :p
Posted By: BowBo

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/26/2015 07:46 AM

Boat anchors kill HARDER! laugh
Posted By: Yaz

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/26/2015 08:49 AM

Originally posted by BowBo:
Boat anchors kill HARDER! laugh
There is some truth to that Bo. I use old round bales to shoot into. 5' thick of tightly packed hay that weighs 1100 lb. NEVER had anything get through one..........until Weedy shot his "trash cans" into it.......they made it through with authority!!

HH, I started using them when Knight started selling them under their name about 20 yrs ago. Didn't realize they were Barns until some time later. I haven't had a gun yet that didn't shoot them very well. You can shoot their eyes out with em at 120 yards!! laugh
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/26/2015 06:57 PM

+1

Originally posted by hornharvester:
Magnum,

Its the placement of the shot that kills.

All bullets will kill a deer if you select a good shot. I suspect your friend's made bad shots and their bullet choice had nothing to do with the deer being lost. h.h.
Posted By: jkissner

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/26/2015 10:56 PM

I like the 295 Powerbelts as well. Shot them for the last several years. Dropped a 3 1/2 year old 9 pointer in his tracks this year. Two years back I shot a 2 1/2 year old 9 pointer and he ran about 50 yards. Both were broadside shots. Both were about 4 inches up from the back of the front leg.

Years back I shot a big doe that ran 200 yards in the snow. There was blood on both sides of the trail. The kind of blood trail that you don't bend over and search for the, but the kinds that you walk fast on. She got the 295, broadside as well in the same location. All good shots, but I think the deer has something to do with it.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/27/2015 08:10 AM

Tried about everything but what I have stuck with is 240grain XTP and two 777 pellets Green honady sabot Sabots make as big a difference as anything
Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/28/2015 01:19 PM

Shot 300gr shockwaves forever. Goin to try Barnes expanders this year
Posted By: Indiana Dude

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/29/2015 05:29 PM

I had used Remington Copper Solids for years because I had a huge stash of em. When I ran out and realized they didn't make them anymore is when I discovered that Barnes made them. So now I'm using the 300 grain Barnes expanders.
I've tinkered with others, but I don't think you can get any better.
Posted By: parson

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/29/2015 08:18 PM

I've shot 240 grain XTPs for quite a few years. They have always worked well for me out of my old Knight.
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: What grain of bullet? - 11/29/2015 10:29 PM

I've had great luck with 240 grain XTP for 15 years out of two different Thompson Centers.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting