Home

Latest Project

Posted By: trapperDave

Latest Project - 01/06/2015 11:08 AM

done some horse trading and looks like this is coming home soon. Hope its salvageable. The nipple area is what has me concerned most. Hoping the bore isnt that bad???

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

fingers crossed lol
Posted By: varmint101

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 11:39 AM

Renegade? Hope the bore is good too! Be fun!

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 11:51 AM

hawken. renegades were brass free
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 12:58 PM

Somebody didn't like cleaning guns.

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 02:27 PM

for sure.

Lots of options on where to go with it. If not salvageable might bore it out to a 28ga smoothie, or use it for an anchor and get a replacement barrel. lol

If nothing else I have a hawken stock for my renegade smile

I think TOW has oversized nipples so I could resize the drum threads
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 03:49 PM

Im betting the inside looks just like the outside but I hope for the best!

If its rusted up inside I can tell you how to get it out without much work. Pitting will be the factor but with PRB ive seen pretty bad pitted barrels shoot decent.

Outside is just cosmetic and easy to refinish. I know a lot about doing this if you want some info. h.h.

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 04:03 PM

Im all ears hh

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 04:22 PM

Give me a bit and I'll get back to you. h.h.

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 10:25 PM

I'd go the easy route and just get a new barrel installed. Nipple doesn't look too good though.

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 11:35 PM

Take off the old bluing with navel gel using some 0000 steel wool, rub it with the grain a few strokes and the bluing comes right off. This save a bunch of time sanding. Use Laurel Mountain rust bluing to put a luster blue or brown on. Cost less than 20.00 a bottle and is made here in Indiana.

http://www.laurelmountainforge.com/barrel_brown_inst.htm

Take rust out of the bore by electrolysis. Formula is Arm & Hammer Washing soda and distilled water. Make a sacrifice rod use a steel 1/4" rod, three plastic 1/4" inside - 1/2" outside bushing, six - 1/16" short roll pins and one pin longer than the bore diameter, and a rubber washer thats big enough to cover the muzzle with a hole in the middle for the rod. All this is available at your local hardware and costs less than 5-6.00. Oh, forgot you need a small rubber cork to pug the nipple hole.

Use the long roll pin to keep the rod up off the bottom of the bore about 1" by drilling a hole in the rod and inserting the pin. Next space out the plastic bushings equal lengths on the rod and pin each one above and below the bushing. Make sure to put the rubber washer under the top long pin so it insulates the top pin from touching metal.

Fill the bore with the washing soda and water solution but leave enough room for the rod so it doesnt over flow. Fill it up to the top. Now hook up a small milli-amp battery charger, the kind you see at walmart to charge 6-12v rechargeable lantern batteries. I set mine to 6 v. Hook up the positive to the rod and negative to the barrel. The solution will bubble a lot and over flow so wrap a rag around the barrel. You can add solution as it bubbles out. I clamp them in a vice with the muzzle point up. The object is to have an insulated positive rod in the bore and the rust will transfer to the rod. If the bore is real rusty take out the rod and clean it and add new solution. It takes a couple hours or more but the results are fantastic.

And before I forget use 1/4 cup of Arm& Hammer washing soda in 1 gallon of distilled water. h.h.

Re: Latest Project - 01/06/2015 11:39 PM

If you decide the bore is too bad you can have it bored out to the next caliber for 125.00. h.h.

Re: Latest Project - 01/07/2015 08:28 AM

thanks hh

Re: Latest Project - 01/10/2015 10:37 PM

Did you buy the gun? h.h.

Re: Latest Project - 01/11/2015 05:28 AM

its a trade in progress. Issues came up and we havent been able to meet to trade yet

Re: Latest Project - 01/12/2015 11:20 AM

This reminds me of the guy who brought in a Hawken one year to Gander Mountain. He had gotten it from someone else and wanted us to "unload it" for him. The gunsmith was eventually able to break the barrel free and get the load out. No idea if he ever hunted with it again. It's a cinch he probably didn't clean it.

Re: Latest Project - 01/13/2015 04:59 PM

mailman delivers tomorrow smile , I have a three day weekend to tinker.

Re: Latest Project - 01/16/2015 09:39 AM

the bore is TOAST.

however; I have already found a 45 barrel unshot being sent to my door....for $60 including shipping. Oh happy day smile

Re: Latest Project - 01/16/2015 11:03 AM

Yeah, that much damage outside and the inside you knew would be worse. Good luck on the rebuild.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting