Home

Moose Milk

Posted By: maddogmech

Moose Milk - 10/06/2014 09:28 PM

Was wanting to know if anyone knows if you can still get this product? Its called Moose Milk, I had this bottle givin to me a long time ago, ive got about enough for a couple more cleanings. Let me know if you have any info ? Thanks
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Moose Milk - 10/06/2014 09:55 PM

Dixie Gun Works carries it.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=2075

Jerry Eder runs Flintlocks Inc. out of Nineva. He sets up every year at Friendship, and you can get it there.

OR...you can make your own with water soluble cutting oil and Murphys Oil Soap and water.

I may have some oil left, G....let me check tomorrow. If I do, you can have some.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Moose Milk - 10/06/2014 10:22 PM

Ballistol is used now instead of cutting oil.

I made some black powder cleaner the other day using 2 parts alcohol, 2 parts hydrogen peroxide and 1 part Murphys Oil soap. h.h.

Re: Moose Milk - 10/06/2014 10:28 PM

I've used that same BP cleaner recipe (MAP) for 20+ years. Can't beat it!

Ballistol is ok...but I bought 5 gallons of this oil when it was hard to find around here... laugh I think I still have some around here somewhere.

Re: Moose Milk - 10/07/2014 06:08 AM

Hey weed do you have the recipe ? would love to make some . How about contacts to get the supplies? Thanks

Re: Moose Milk - 10/07/2014 09:22 AM

The recipe for a pint is: 1oz. oil, and 1oz. Murphys Oil Soap added to pint of water. For a quart, just double the oil and MOS.

I found the oil, so no worries there. I'll pour ya a couple quarts, which should last almost a lifetime. If ya need more just holler. You can get the Murphys Oil Soap at almost any drug store or grocery store in the cleaning supplies section.

PM me on how to get this oil to ya. cool

Re: Moose Milk - 10/07/2014 09:28 AM

Weed, do you like moose milk better than MAP?

I like the MAP for range cleaning but nothing beats Dawn dish soap and water for a good cleaning. h.h.

Re: Moose Milk - 10/07/2014 09:32 AM

I like MAP better. I used Moose Milk more for a patch lube at the range during shoots.

I use MAP for total clean-up on my inlines. I put some in a spray bottle for hard to get to places. It makes a great hand cleaner too!

Of course you need to oil everything down afterwards.

Re: Moose Milk - 10/07/2014 02:02 PM

Got the oil soap weed, I will get with on the oil. What is this MAP you guys keeping under your hat ????? Hmmmmmmm????

Re: Moose Milk - 10/07/2014 02:38 PM

2 parts rubbing alcohol
2 parts peroxide
1 part Murphys Oil Soap
(nothing else added)

Best black powder cleaner you'll ever use.. wink cool

I poured ya a gallon of the oil George. I'm home the rest of this evening, but gotta be at the firehouse tomorrow......off Thursday and Friday.

Re: Moose Milk - 10/09/2014 04:20 PM

Weed,

Im really liken the way MAP cleans at the range. Ive been shooting a couple times since I made it and the stuff really cleans out PB fouling. In the past I used straight alcohol to swab between shots but MAP is a much more efficient cleaner.

Getting my two Hawken ready for the primitive hunt at BO week from Saturday and used up nearly a pound of BP. They both will hit inside a coffee cup sized dot at 65 yards so I'm good to go. smile h.h.

Re: Moose Milk - 10/09/2014 05:04 PM

Good deal, HH! The cleaner flat-out works! Sounds like you got a good load worked up.. wink Good luck at BO!

Re: Moose Milk - 10/12/2014 09:36 PM

Weed..... I got made some cleaner up today, my son dropped some off to Bo. Thanks again.

Re: Moose Milk - 10/12/2014 09:39 PM

Yer welcome bud! If ya need more just holler! cool
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Moose Milk - 10/13/2014 07:45 AM

Thanks weed, for hooking G up with the recipes!
And thanks G for hooking me up with a spray bottle of each recipe!! smile

Now get yourself a good buck this week bro!
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Moose Milk - 10/16/2014 04:45 PM

I used some of both the other night... and I like them both!
I mixed them together to soak a breech plug in.... it came out spotless without any scrubbing/brushing!

Thanks again guys! Sure is alot better that what I was using before.

Re: Moose Milk - 10/16/2014 05:35 PM

Bowbo, MAP is the best homemade BP cleaner Ive ever mixed up. Two patches and the bore is clean.

Ive made some Ed's Red homemade gun cleaner before and its does a very good job on centerfire or shotgun bores. Do a google for the recipe if interested. h.h.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting