Home

Blackhorn 209 powder

Posted By: ROBINHOOD 06

Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/02/2013 03:44 PM

Is there anyone out there that uses the blackhorn 209 powder for muzzleloaders? If so could you share any pros or cons with this product. I've only used the tripple 7 pellets and they seem to always be a pain to clean and the rotten egg smell is bad. My cousin uses the blackhorn 209 and loves it. I just read the FAQ section on there website and need more feedback as to how this product performs. Im using a cva wolf .50 cal and have the 245 grn. powerbuilt coppers. Thanks in advance
Posted By: whitetaildave24

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/02/2013 08:25 PM

I switched to it last year and I love it. Not nearly as dirty as the pellets which makes cleaning that much easier and follow up shots that much closer to the first shot as well.
Posted By: HuntMeister

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/02/2013 09:22 PM

I was using it before I switched to a smokeless muzz. If I were to go back to BP and BP subs BH209 would be the only powder I would use. It will still cause corrosion but you don't have to rush to clean after firing like BP and BP subs. No build up while shooting, it creates a sooty film so no swabbing between shots. Because it is a extruded powder it is very consistent from load to load. You could measure your charges by weight if you really wanted exact charges. It does not absorb water like BP and BP subs.
What's not to like about it??
Posted By: BOBinIN

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/03/2013 07:47 AM

I just recently discovered that I can consistently ignite BH 209 in my side-hammer 45 cal. muzzleloader that uses a #11 percussion cap! Just pour 5 grains of Pyrodex RS, or Black powder down the tube first as the primer charge, then the main charge of BH 209. It will go "BANG" every time. BH 209 is more "energetic" than Black or Pyrodex so you use less of it than the other options and swabing between shots isn't necessary, and it's much easier to clean too.
I'll be looking at shooting it through my 12ga. TK-2000 muzzleloading Turkey shotgun soon as the weather give me a chance to get out and try some loads.
Two problems with BH 209 though:
1) It's hard to find in stock.
2) And it is $36 for a 10 Oz. jug.

Like the old commercial said..."try it, you'll like it!"

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/03/2013 11:25 AM

My cousin had a lot of trouble getting his breech plug out after shooting.Any idea why he had this happen I do know that he used plenty of breech plug grease.
Posted By: BOBinIN

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/03/2013 12:40 PM

Tight plug...It could be he has a "tight plug" that will never loosen-up. Mine unscrews so easy using BH209 that it takes no effort at all to remove. Maybe he needs to take his to a gunsmith and let him work on it.

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/03/2013 02:18 PM

Thanks BOBin!!! We thought for sure that we had stripped the threads getting it loose. It like to never went back in. On my cva the breech plug comes out real easy also. The barrel on this wolf is new. How often do you guys clean the barrel when sighting in at the range and what is a good method after shooting as far as cleaning and storing for deer season? Where can a guy get a good scope and what size brand scope do you use? Thanks for the info. It helps a great deal. I plan on using this bad boy during the 2013 firearm season for. I have no other choice. All the .44 hornaday 225 grn. ammo is gone in johnson county
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/03/2013 02:18 PM

Use Teflon tape and lube and he should have no problem. h.h.
Posted By: antiwheeze

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/04/2013 10:40 AM

I used bh 209 in a wolf this year with great results. Last year I had trouble using bh209 with an open breech (tc black diamond)in cold weather . I did load a fresh charge every hunt. My advice is to test bh209 in the very cold.

Re: Blackhorn 209 powder - 02/04/2013 08:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback I'll give it a try soon.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting