Home

February 2012 FWCC meeting

Posted By: HatchetJack

February 2012 FWCC meeting - 02/01/2014 09:11 PM

Some notes from today’s (02/01/2012) FWCC meeting at Camp Atterbury:

1.Legislative update -
HB1050 – special circumstances hunting safety card (likely to pass)
HB1217 – single point of contact for wetland work permits (likely to pass)
HB1307 – various housekeeping issues for IDNR (likely to pass)
SB4 – wild animals on airport runways (likely to pass)
SB52 – criminal penalties and DNR (likely to pass)
SB101 – agricultural operations and criminal trespass (likely to pass)
SB404 – hunting preserves (likely to pass)

The 2 big issues are SB404 (high fence hunting) and SB52 (reduces a bunch of IDNR misdemeanors to infractions). Encourage your friends to write and call their legislators (House side) and ask that SB52 be sent to summer study to clarify this bill. The governor would like SB404 to only allow the 4 existing high fence facilities to continue and with close supervision from DNR and BOAH. Email and call the House Natural Resources Committee to achieve this.

2.Got Input process – encourage friends to access and make known their “wish list” of changes to current IDNR rules. For example one group is proposing new rifle cartridges and others oppose this. Baiting in urban zones is being proposed to “reduce herd in urban zones”. DNR is also proposing increased bag limits in these areas while many sportsmen are clamoring for reducing same. Political correctness is asking for a change from “urban deer zone” to “deer reduction zones”.

Go to http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7373.htm for the list of suggested changes and to input your own.

Re: February 2012 FWCC meeting - 02/06/2014 07:30 PM

Some "highlights" of the current IDNR proposals on Got INput 2014:

1. Suspend the ruffed grouse season altogether
2. Change bag limit on quail to 4 in the south zone and 2 in the north zone.
3. Eliminate put-and-take pheasant hunting ffor crosley FWA.
4. In deer urban zones allow baiting after archery season closes. also increase anterless bag limits. Also rename urban zones to "deer reduction zones" and modify boundaries in these areas.
5. Prohibit the use of dogs to chase or take wild hogs.
6. Restrict small game hunting for quail, rabbit, pheasant, mourning dove and woodcock to the hours of 9 AM - 4 PM EST.
7. Close rabbit season on January 31 on designated DNR properties.
8. Allow not more than one channel catfish per day that is 28 inches or longer.
9. Allow only one flathead and one blue catfish per day that is 35 inches or longer.
Posted By: gundude

Re: February 2012 FWCC meeting - 02/06/2014 08:18 PM

I never thought I'd live to say this but I now support a closed season for grouse.. it goes against every thing I love and believe in.i want our grouse back.. I want as much habitat as we can get for all wild game.I can't believe that I have to plan an out of state hunt to hunt grouse.. we let this go on way to long!
Posted By: gundude

Re: February 2012 FWCC meeting - 02/06/2014 08:21 PM

Oh and number 5..I support killing (not hunting) them by any means possible.
Posted By: BREW...

Re: February 2012 FWCC meeting - 02/06/2014 08:36 PM

Originally posted by HatchetJack:
Some "highlights" of the current IDNR proposals on Got INput 2014:

1. Suspend the ruffed grouse season altogether
2. Change bag limit on quail to 4 in the south zone and 2 in the north zone.
3. Eliminate put-and-take pheasant hunting ffor crosley FWA.
4. In deer urban zones allow baiting after archery season closes. also increase anterless bag limits. Also rename urban zones to "deer reduction zones" and modify boundaries in these areas.
5. Prohibit the use of dogs to chase or take wild hogs.
6. Restrict small game hunting for quail, rabbit, pheasant, mourning dove and woodcock to the hours of 9 AM - 4 PM EST.
7. Close rabbit season on January 31 on designated DNR properties.
8. Allow not more than one channel catfish per day that is 28 inches or longer.
9. Allow only one flathead and one blue catfish per day that is 35 inches or longer.
#3) There has been NO put&take at crosley FWA for many YEARS... confused

That has to be a typo!!!!

Re: February 2012 FWCC meeting - 02/06/2014 09:23 PM

Brew - check the list on-line. It's there and no there hasn't been one there for years. See top of page 4:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Got_Input_dfw_proposals_2014.pdf
Posted By: BREW...

Re: February 2012 FWCC meeting - 02/06/2014 09:41 PM

Jack- your correct the typo/wrong info is from the Indiana Division of Fish and Wildlife...I should have made that clearer!!!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting