Home

mushroom hunting post logging operation

Posted By: Double B

mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/10/2014 01:59 PM

Anyone have any information, preferably first hand, of how a real good mushroom woods responds to a logging operation over time? One of my best woods is getting logged (about 150 trees off 20-30 acres or so). It is going on now, just started. I know this year may not produce due to all the disturbance, but will it bounce back next year or in the near future? Thanks.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/10/2014 04:31 PM

soil disturbance = morel blooms

fires, logging, all good and I have found morels in these types of locations in the past. Years 2 and 3 post logging seem to be the best.

When the mycelium is stressed, it sends up the fruiting body, the morel mushroom.

Re: mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/10/2014 06:01 PM

Preach on brother! I have my fingers crossed. I was afraid it might ruin the woods. A neighbor was saying it will never be the same. But the same woods was logged in the early '90's so it obviously settled down nicely. This patch has some real big poplars and a few big ash which are coming down.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/10/2014 07:04 PM

Dont pass up Poplar stumps.. from experience They Will produce a Tall, I call White Morel
Posted By: gundude

Re: mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/10/2014 07:13 PM

Yup
Posted By: Juggler

Re: mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/10/2014 07:20 PM

Found lots of yellows next to stumps just a few months after we timbered our property. Don't give up on this year!
Posted By: Shelby County Hunter

Re: mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/10/2014 08:27 PM

I agree with 76 Chevy
Soil Disturbance=Morel Blooms

They logged one of our mushroom woods last fall and we found more than usual there last spring, and it wasen't even a good year.

Burn areas and flood areas are both good!

I always heard the more snow we get, the more mushrooms there will be, but I said that last year too. LOL
Posted By: gundude

Re: mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/11/2014 08:05 PM

Done this since I was a kid.. maybe good ..maybe bad. its always a toss up. Fun none the less.

Re: mushroom hunting post logging operation - 03/12/2014 09:08 AM

I hope they don't tear it up too bad. It is a pretty mature woods without much undergrowth so should still have some opportunities this year. I've always heard about the snow pack producing good mushrooms and am really looking forward to the season. Thanks for the replies.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting