Home

michigan city coho

Posted By: hornharvester

michigan city coho - 03/07/2016 05:45 PM

I went to michigan city today salmon fishing but the wind didnt cooperate very much. I couldnt fish out around the rock pile because it was so windy, too hard to control the boat by myself. I trolled the mouth of the calumet river and caught one coho and one flathead catfish. Kept the coho but released the cat. I was a little too early but plan to go back in about 2-3 weeks. The bite should be good by then. Pictures tomorrow. h.h.
Posted By: Double B

Re: michigan city coho - 03/08/2016 11:58 AM

I used to fish that port back in the day.....good to hear the report. Should pick up soon I would guess. Interesting how diverse that fishery has become. I hear there's some big smallies in there now too.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: michigan city coho - 03/08/2016 04:18 PM

Early warm up got me into the fishing mood......there were quite a few fishing off the piers. I only saw two others catch fish besides me.

I imagine a guy could toss some jigs around that rock pile and catch a smallie or two and maybe a walleye. Water temp was 37 on the lake and 41 in the river. h.h.
Posted By: BowBo

Re: michigan city coho - 03/08/2016 05:08 PM

Sounds like ya had some fun! Love being on the water!
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: michigan city coho - 03/20/2016 03:51 PM

One of the best smallmouth fisheries is inside the Port of Indiana. However, after 911 fishing and private boat traffic was shut down...if you get caught in there now, the coast guard will be on you like stink on a road killed skunk...there is the public fishing area off the big rocks on the south side...we used to be able to fish the warm water discharge there, that is shut down, only those employed on the Arcelormittal side can fish the discharge..... Smallies up to 5 lbs used to be caught off the breakwall there....an occasional walleye would be caught off the discharge too along with steelies, choho and browns.....Starting in April, fishing off the big rocks casting spoons, spinners and rapalas are effective as is dunking crawlers and cut shrimp 5-10 ft below slip bobbers if one wants to catch spring Coho and chunky browns... BTW, southerly winds sure help at that time.... I'll start hitting it then !!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting