Home

quartering deer in the field?

Posted By: 76chevy

quartering deer in the field? - 12/04/2015 09:50 AM

Looking at the regs, I see nothing which would prohibit quartering and boning out the meat before packing it out.

I would check it in online with my phone and do the temp tag like usual.

Do you guys see any issues, based on how the regulations are written, with leaving the quartered carcass on public land?
Posted By: BigBuckD

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/04/2015 10:31 AM

I don't believe there is an issue as long as you check it online before quartering and have your transportation tag attached. There are some guys I know that do this in hilly Hoosier National.

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/04/2015 10:42 AM

thanks!
It sure opens up a lot of public ground one could hike into and not have to worry about getting a whole deer carcass out.
Posted By: Stinger

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/04/2015 05:03 PM

A follow up question is... would Indiana DNR issue a wanton waste violation? I'm guessing that they shouldn't. But how is that different than dumping a deer in a field after butchering it?

I ask because that is my preference to quarter and bone it out in the field. I did not this year only because I wasn't sure what would happen if DNR rode up on me.

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/04/2015 05:14 PM

I say, no it would not but need to confirm with ICO.

So long as you retrieve it, check it in legally (CheckIN game system from the field), and take the usable meat....

Wanton Waste—It is illegal to kill or cripple any wild animal without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the animal to include in your daily bag limit. It is illegal, however, to enter private property without permission to retrieve downed game. Before you hunt, make sure you have permission to track game on land adjoining your hunting area.
Posted By: HooterHunter

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/04/2015 10:23 PM

I see no issue with this. In my opinion wanton waste is directed towards finding your game and tagging it. What you do with it after that is up to you. There should be no issue, once checked in, in quartering or de boning your animal in the field.
Posted By: Stinger

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/10/2015 02:42 PM

Sounds good. I think next year I will do exactly that... depending of course on where I end up hunting.
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/10/2015 05:43 PM

Just be discrete about where you put the leftovers. Not near a trail or road, not near or in a waterway. And take everything you can just like you would at home. Neck and rib meat make fine sausage. You can grind the heart up in your burger. Many folks like the liver so even if you don't; ask around. Maybe someone can use it. I draw the line at the tongue though. Tried that once...once smile

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/10/2015 07:51 PM

good points John. Got my lightweight havalon edge knife, a light backpack, and looking to pick up some decent Alaska style quarter game bags

Hope to be packing one out of the public ground next fall!!
Posted By: animalhouse

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/10/2015 08:35 PM

Originally posted by 76chevy:
good points John. Got my lightweight havalon edge knife, a light backpack, and looking to pick up some decent Alaska style quarter game bags

Hope to be packing one out of the public ground next fall!!
Save your $$ Justin...just use a couple trash bags to haul it out in. We used 1 per quarter on elk this fall. Game bags I have seen are fabric, and don't provide any "mess protection" for your pack. Short term storage is fine.

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/13/2015 06:01 PM

thanks for the info. You must remember how cheap I am!
Posted By: buckberry

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/14/2015 02:45 PM

I would say quarter if you must, but in my opinion it's much cleaner and better for taste if you leave a deer whole, drag and(weather permitting)let it age a couple days.

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/14/2015 03:26 PM

I have boned deer in the field and dragged them out and both are equally clean and effective. I generally wet age steak cuts in the fridge. I haven't tried hanging a deer whole to age since I don't have the space.
Posted By: IThunter

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/14/2015 03:40 PM

i wouldn't recommend a trash bag the meat needs to cool and breath get a pillow case they are cheaper than game bags.

Re: quartering deer in the field? - 12/14/2015 10:04 PM

I use cloth game bags to prevent contact with the plastic bags but I do pack them out inside unscented trash bags just to keep my pack clean. A pack frame works nicely coupled with some straps and cloth game bags.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting