Home

Ground mineral lick

Posted By: Magnum hunter

Ground mineral lick - 10/13/2015 01:32 PM

I learned this idea in the summer last year and in fact did it last summer and now just telling you guys about it, but this is how it works in case you've never heard of it:
1. Take a hammer and clear out a patch of grass to wear you can get to dirt and make a fairly decent sized circle. (take out a circle shaped area of grass)
2. Pour sugar over the dirt and spread it out.
3. Pour salt over the sugar and dirt and spread it out.
4. Pour few drops of vanilla extract around and on the salt, sugar, and dirt.
5. Pour oats around the circle.
6. Add any lure or urine you shall wish around the lick.
It worked for me!!!
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/13/2015 01:53 PM

Ummmmm...errrr...okay....and now what?? confused

You're not hunting close to that area.....correct?
Posted By: Stinger

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/13/2015 03:07 PM

In Indiana, it is illegal to hunt over that. Please be careful - this is one of the main ways that CWD is spread in the whitetail world.

Whether or not it is legal or illegal is not my main concern right now.. some states it is good-to-go and others not. But sharing salt licks and other types of things mineral sites do spread the disease more easily that done naturally.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/13/2015 04:21 PM

Don't over think it. they are coming for the salt, good old NaCl.

The vanilla scent might create some interest.

I use this in the summer in front of my cams. I also mix in some trace minerals, calcium, phosphorus, and sodium. And yes, I get it along with all affected soil out 10+ days prior to season opening to stay legal.

http://www.ruralking.com/salt-rock-...ium=cpc&gclid=CK-0hZaiwMgCFYo8gQodEusB2w

http://www.ruralking.com/salt-bag-trace-mineral-50.html

Check out this review of a study

https://www.qdma.com/articles/minerals-for-whitetails

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/13/2015 04:22 PM

Would you please show me the data which proved this?

I have not seen this published....

Originally posted by Stinger:
sharing salt licks and other types of things mineral sites do spread the disease more easily that done naturally.
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/13/2015 05:35 PM

That is surely a good way to see some deer. Did you put a camera over it? Share some pics.

Definitely don't hunt over it or even the trails to it as you may get into trouble.
Posted By: tynimiller

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 08:44 AM

This does zero for the deer, and is 100% illegal to hunt over in Indiana unless you've removed it or had it shut down and approved by a CO (like fencing it off and covering it entirely to eliminate access).

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 08:46 AM

Originally posted by 76chevy:
Would you please show me the data which proved this?

I have not seen this published....

Originally posted by Stinger:
[b] sharing salt licks and other types of things mineral sites do spread the disease more easily that done naturally.
[/b]
While no direct scientific studies have proven it however many biologists connect saliva exchange between deer as one way of transmitting the disease....concentrated area of food or attractant such as this, some believe ups the odds of it.

Not stating I believe or agree entirely but that is a common thought among professionals and hunters alike.
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 09:08 AM

I hope he gets on here soon and kind of explains himself and or then deletes the post the whole it worked for me makes me wonder but for his sake I hope not.

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 09:10 AM

Honestly, I believe an admin needs to just inform a CO of this....sport is only as clean as we make it...worst thing that could happen is it is all a misunderstanding and no violation occurred.
Posted By: bean

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 09:15 AM

Originally posted by nickgsp2:
I hope he gets on here soon and kind of explains himself and or then deletes the post the whole it worked for me makes me wonder but for his sake I hope not.
Nick - I will explain for him.

Evan is a 14 year old kid who has fallen in love with hunting/trapping. He also likes the comradery of the HH brotherhood.

I spoke to him about this yesterday. He knows the rules and has broken none. "It worked for me" means over a year ago he tried his lil recipe and deer liked it. It was not anywhere near his hunting stands or blinds. No such sites have been made since.

To be honest, I think he had some free time at school and was bored. He decided to add a post.

Learning curve. We all had/have them. No need for a CO here.

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 10:03 AM

Check your facts.

That's not how the Indiana law Article 9 312 IAC 9-3-2 reads. You have to remove the bait and all affected soil 10 days prior to hunting in the area.

www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03120/A00090.PDF

Originally posted by tynimiller:
...unless you've removed it or had it shut down and approved by a CO (like fencing it off and covering it entirely to eliminate access).
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 10:28 AM

Thanks bean

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 10:48 AM

Thanks Brian... cool

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 10:51 AM

Check your facts.

That's not how the Indiana law Article 9 312 IAC 9-3-2 reads. You have to remove the bait and all affected soil 10 days prior to hunting in the area.

www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T03120/A00090.PDF

[b] ...unless you've removed it or had it shut down and approved by a CO (like fencing it off and covering it entirely to eliminate access).
[/b]
I know how it reads, but I also know there is no way for a CO or a hunter to know if everything has been removed. I've had numerous dialogue with CO's and not only do we dig up some soil into buckets and haul off site, we also fence off and (at times) cover the site to eliminate all possible access to it. Then to top it all off we don't hunt around the site either.
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 12:59 PM

Quit yer fightin' boys. I swear sometimes you kids....

Gonna be a great weekend for hunting. I suggest a couple days away from the computer smile

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 03:05 PM

Evan's a good kid, and would never knowingly break the rules. Life itself is a lesson, and Evan has some great mentors. Good luck on your remaining season, bud!
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 09:09 PM

^^^^^ what weed said.... some times you guys amaze me !!!! :rolleyes:
Posted By: Tysonhunter

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/14/2015 11:49 PM

Lol so quick to judge our fell sportsman....come on fellas let's give the benefit of doubt. Let's face it someone as obsessed with the sport enough to frequent a hunting forum would not knowing compromise the integrity of the sport. Sometimes it dumbfounds me the way folks act publicly while hidden behind their screen name and emojis. Good luck this season Evan. Or should I see more good luck seeing you've already seen success. And to the rest of you Debbie downers....Friday is white out day for anti bullying. I suggest you do a load of whites tomorrow in preparation!

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/15/2015 09:30 AM

It is not judgement or fighting to question something which was without question obviously implying or hinting at illegal activity.

The explanation of whom the OP is aND explanation given clears all gray area up without a doubt.

Just a note intention is not something one can expect or demand a conservation officer to concern themselves with. Which is why sportsman must be as knowledgeable as possible about the sport they choose to partake in...and as sportsman we must attempt to keep it as clean as possible.

Best of luck to the OP and everyone else!!
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/15/2015 09:50 AM

smh
Posted By: blackoak

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/15/2015 12:38 PM

f of ???????????.

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/19/2015 11:41 AM

Originally posted by trapperDave:
smh
Love to know why you are shaking your head? If at me, or anything I've said please elaborate.

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/19/2015 12:26 PM

Great, but overkill IMO.

We just clean out the bait and remove affected soil.

How do you not hunt the site?

Do you not run summer bait sites on farms you hunt?

... I also know there is no way for a CO or a hunter to know if everything has been removed. I've had numerous dialogue with CO's and not only do we dig up some soil into buckets and haul off site, we also fence off and (at times) cover the site to eliminate all possible access to it. Then to top it all off we don't hunt around the site either.

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/19/2015 12:33 PM

Great, but overkill IMO.

We just clean out the bait and remove affected soil.

How do you not hunt the site?

Do you not run summer bait sites on farms you hunt?

[b] ... I also know there is no way for a CO or a hunter to know if everything has been removed. I've had numerous dialogue with CO's and not only do we dig up some soil into buckets and haul off site, we also fence off and (at times) cover the site to eliminate all possible access to it. Then to top it all off we don't hunt around the site either.
[/b]
Nope, we don't run bait piles even in the off season. Pops every now and then will throw some apples down that are over ripe for consumption in the summer months but that is pretty much it anymore.

Few years back (probably 2009 at the latest) we used to run corn/hay mixtures post season through spring because we thought we were helping the deer, but quickly learned that is a bad mindset and far too many deer become dependent on the food source and don't move to where better food is always available. Since then though we've upped our overall browse count from hinging and cutting a TON of trees down and have plenty of natural browse for deer to be fine without us artificially supplementing them and spending hundreds of dollars in bait (corn or such).

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/19/2015 12:35 PM

We only do one mineral site and like you stated it gets dug up and then fenced off each year. Overkill...some would say, but I don't ever want to run the risk of losing my hunting rights over a mineral site not deemed shut off appropriately.

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/20/2015 09:47 AM

Guys I am sorry! I did not mean to cause this much of an uproar!!! Thanks Brian for explaining myself though!! I have never ever hunted over one of these during hunting season and never will. This is only a summer thing I did last summer in June!! The farmer has planted it over with corn, beans, and now grass. It's no where to be found and that August I removed everything possible I promise!! I am not one to ever break the law in any shape or form possible!!!

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/20/2015 12:24 PM

Don't sweat it, Evan. No harm, no foul. Now get back out there, and have some fun!! cool :p

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/20/2015 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Magnum hunter:
Guys I am sorry! I did not mean to cause this much of an uproar!!! Thanks Brian for explaining myself though!! I have never ever hunted over one of these during hunting season and never will. This is only a summer thing I did last summer in June!! The farmer has planted it over with corn, beans, and now grass. It's no where to be found and that August I removed everything possible I promise!! I am not one to ever break the law in any shape or form possible!!!
Once clarification happened none of us thought twice brother! Good luck this year!

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/20/2015 12:59 PM

Just to clarify it again though, I found this out in the summer of 2014, and I did it that June and never messed with it until that August and then dug all of it up as much as possible. I replanted the area with grass and so far the farmer has replanted it with corn, soy beans, and now grass. It is gone, far gone. I have never done one since and I really don't think I will do another one. But thanks guys for understanding now!!!
Posted By: Luke64ledbetter

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/20/2015 01:51 PM

U people need to read and understand stuff before you go commenting on crap i mean Evan here my best friend clearly said in the summer he did thin in june.
Posted By: Luke64ledbetter

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/20/2015 01:52 PM

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/20/2015 02:47 PM

Yeah but I didn't clarify it enough.
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Ground mineral lick - 10/20/2015 04:15 PM

Yes you did. Some people just like to ASSume things and run their mouths. Ignore those types wink
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting