Home

what type of shotgun ??

Posted By: indychips

what type of shotgun ?? - 01/12/2015 12:33 PM

This past deer season, my son and I began our first year hunting. Started out with a compound bow. No deer this year.

Next season we want to expand by purchasing a shotgun. I found a Beneli SuperNova 12 gauge for a good price. Is this a good gun for deer hunting? Can we mount a scope on it?
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/12/2015 02:21 PM

if you want the best shotgun for deer hunting, get one of these

www.hr1871.com/firearms/shotguns/ultraslug.asp

http://www.cabelas.com/product/H-R-Ultra-Slug-Hunter-Deluxe-Shotguns/707270.uts
Posted By: jjas

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/12/2015 02:52 PM

Originally posted by 76chevy:
if you want the best shotgun for deer hunting, get one of these

www.hr1871.com/firearms/shotguns/ultraslug.asp

http://www.cabelas.com/product/H-R-Ultra-Slug-Hunter-Deluxe-Shotguns/707270.uts
Rumor has it that H&R handi rifles and shotguns are being discontinued. It might be worth calling H&R to find out for sure.

If they are being discontinued, if someone wants one, I'd buy one while you can.
Posted By: Steiny

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/12/2015 04:01 PM

I'd take that Benelli any day over a single shot H&R, so long as the Benelli had a rifled barrel and provisions for mounting a scope.

First choice of shotgun would be one of those Savage 20ga bolt action slug guns.

Might want to sit tight and see what happens with the regs between now and next season, as most centerfire rifles may get legalized. If that is the case, I'd get a good bolt action Remington, Ruger, Browning, etc. in something including or between .243 and 30-06.
Posted By: Double B

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/12/2015 04:13 PM

Novas are good guns. Use improved cylinder choke for slugs. You will probably want a separate slug barrel though. Lots of Mossberg 500's out there you could probably get priced right. See what the high powered rifle initiative does.....might buy a shotgun cheap if it passes!

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/12/2015 04:25 PM

wow, that would be a shame. The ultra slug hunter are single shot only, heavy, and recoil can be rough but as far accuracy, once you find the right shell combination, I have not seen a shotgun that can shoot with them. Excluding the bolt action savages.

Originally posted by jjas:
....Rumor has it that H&R handi rifles and shotguns are being discontinued. It might be worth calling H&R to find out for sure...
Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/12/2015 05:53 PM

My rem 870 with the little smooth bore barrel does just fine for me. Put my 28" field barrel on with a modified choke shoots almost as good
Posted By: indychips

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/12/2015 05:57 PM

Thanks for the responses. The Benelli I am looking at is too cheap to pass up, even if later on the rifles pass.

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/13/2015 12:49 PM

I would not pass one up at a fire sale price either. The Benelli is an excellent squirrel, turkey, waterfowl, etc firearm.

here is a scope mount for it if you elect to go that route.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/36...nova-12-gauge-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Originally posted by indychips:
Thanks for the responses. The Benelli I am looking at is too cheap to pass up, even if later on the rifles pass.
Posted By: skeeterowner

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/15/2015 01:51 PM

One can not have to many. If you have a good deal go with it. I personally haven't heard any negatives on Benneli. Good luck! You can always buy more. Definitely try different ammo before blaming gun!
Posted By: fowlattitude1

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/15/2015 08:21 PM

Even if they pass the HP Rifles, I have both the H&R Ultra Slug and the Savage 220 and i'll continue to use both even if they pass the law that you can use a HP.
Posted By: Uncle Bucky

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/17/2015 12:06 AM

I had a remington 870 in 20 gauge, cantilevered barrel, adjustable stock, 2x7 Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope, shot 2 3/4" remington Copper Solids out of it.

I DROPPED deer, and out there too.. shot deer and dropped them at 129, 137, 144 and even one at 193 yards.. none of the deer took one step.

Unfortunately it was one of the guns stolen from me in 2013,

Re: what type of shotgun ?? - 01/23/2015 07:48 PM

Darn. Did insurance cover it?

Love those 870s!!!

Originally posted by Uncle Bucky:
I had a remington 870 in 20 gauge, cantilevered barrel, adjustable stock, 2x7 Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope, shot 2 3/4" remington Copper Solids out of it.

I DROPPED deer, and out there too.. shot deer and dropped them at 129, 137, 144 and even one at 193 yards.. none of the deer took one step.

Unfortunately it was one of the guns stolen from me in 2013,
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting