Home

Tecumseh goes down in Ohio.....

Posted By: Scarlett Dew

Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 08:33 PM

The morning of Nov 5th started with a barrage of texting back and forth between my fellow forum member and friend Bigbucksurock. Bigbucksurock had just scored on a 17 pointer early in the morning and I was in my stand passing smaller bucks and hoping something bigger would come by. At 10am after I had sent another text out ......... I stuck my phone in my pocket and when I looked up....a buck I called Tecumseh was bird-dogging across an open field right to me. After grunting to him a short sequence......he came right in......walked into one of my shooting lanes that had cut the day before as I hung the stand. Tecumseh stopped in the lane at 25 yards....and my trusty Destroyer 350 sent the Slick Trick on its way.......and it was OVER!! Tecumseh ran about 80 yards and piled up.

Not a huge buck, but all tines except G-1's were 9-12 inches long.........and I wanted to get back home to chase something else..........More on that later I hope.... wink
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 08:38 PM

Very nice once again putting a big deer on the ground congrats
Posted By: trophyhunter

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 08:38 PM

congrats dew...another great buck
Posted By: Cornfed

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 08:46 PM

Great looking buck, Dew! Congrats!
Posted By: bean

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 08:48 PM

"Not a huge buck" Whatever smile

Great looking deer. Congrats
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 08:48 PM

That's a real nice buck, congrats!

Posted By: jarang1128

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 10:12 PM

Very fine deer. I always look forward to your posts this time of year........ Every year!!!! Hope to see another deer soon.
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 10:59 PM

nice buck...... Congrats
Posted By: johnc911

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/08/2014 11:03 PM

I love the cockiness of some people "not a huge buck" uhh okay !!
Posted By: skeeterowner

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 01:05 AM

Another beauty. Nice job
Posted By: delaney

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 07:38 AM

Nice going.
Posted By: camokid88

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 07:57 AM

Nice Buck!
Posted By: antiwheeze

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 09:51 AM

Awesome buck!

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 07:09 PM

Originally posted by johnc911:
I love the cockiness of some people "not a huge buck" uhh okay !!
In the area I am at in Ohio......the one I got is not a huge buck, which is what I meant when I typed that. These bucks were also on my trail cams and farms I was hunting in Ohio this year....and they are HUGE bucks....

So maybe before you label someone as "cocky" Johnc911 when they say they didn't shoot a "huge buck".......you may want to ask them what they are comparing them to before you go off and type out a "quick snap negative comment/judgment"..... You'll look like a more credible moderator.

Good Hunting all....... wink
Posted By: Bucks n Ducks

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 08:00 PM

Beautiful deer! Congrats on the monster!
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 10:26 PM

Congrats. Def a LOT to look forward to next year there.
Posted By: KayakHntr

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 10:35 PM

You seem to make it happen every year! Congrats on another mature whitetail
Posted By: Indyhunter

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 11:05 PM

"So maybe before you label someone as "cocky" Johnc911 when they say they didn't shoot a "huge buck".......you may want to ask them what they are comparing them to before you go off and type out a "quick snap negative comment/judgment"..... You'll look like a more credible moderator."

Narcissism. The pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's own attributes.

Nice deer, but the attitude is still pathetic. Some things never change.
Posted By: BREW...

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/09/2014 11:17 PM

+1....pass the popcorn!!!
Posted By: DFA

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 06:41 AM

Attitude, maybe. Im not on here enough to see all Scarletts posts but I do know he appearss to be maniacal about his time put in so I just dont see it as cocky. Every year he kills more big deer than anyone I see posting.

He's like a golfer thats a 2 handicap but plays 6 days a week. Good golfer yes but there are tradeoffs to be that good. Scarlett seems to put in that kind of time and it pays off. His choices and his tradeoffs. I'd love to be able to groom properties and find properties w big bicks. I'm just too busy with life.

Another great deer and congrats! Love seeing the pics and thanks for sharing the trail cam pics as well.
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 09:04 AM

Them are some nice deer. I think it is good you shot the one you did them other ones need at least another year or two to mature and grow.
Geeesh yea right thanks for sharing

Oh and John thanks for your post which allowed the rest of us to see the trail cam pics of some very awsome deer
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 11:56 AM

What Brew said !!!!!
Posted By: Bucks n Ducks

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 12:03 PM

I enjoyed the trail pics as well. Hard work and knowing how to pattern these big boys shows in those pics! I wish I could put that much time and effort into finding big bucks.
Posted By: DEC

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 01:01 PM

Nice deer Tim. Congrats ... year in and year out.
Posted By: Hunter Dan

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 01:19 PM

If you ever need a hunting partner to split lease costs I would like to apply!
Posted By: blackoak

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 03:23 PM

Love the coke can base mass of trail cam picture#6. True "azz kikker"Congrats on a nice one dew
Posted By: Magnum hunter

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 03:52 PM

Cool! Real nice!
Posted By: Indyhunter

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 09:47 PM

Has NOTHING to do with the deer at all. He puts in the time, money, and effort and it has payed off. (DFA, before you call this a great deer, you should probably ask Scarlett what the definition of a "great deer" is so you do not get scolded.)
Posted By: camokid88

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/10/2014 09:56 PM

Great buck! Looks like you are the 1st to score for our team! I really wish I had more time to hunt this year. I'm looking forward to late season over some beans when I get a break from school. Good luck on your Indiana buck. -camokid
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 06:00 AM

Nice buck Tim. Congrats.
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 06:07 AM

Great Eight!

Isn't baiting legal there?
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 08:29 AM

congrats!

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 09:59 AM

Originally posted by camokid88:
Great buck! Looks like you are the 1st to score for our team! I really wish I had more time to hunt this year. I'm looking forward to late season over some beans when I get a break from school. Good luck on your Indiana buck. -camokid
I believe for the buck to count for this sites contest it would have had to have been taken here in Indiana. Best of wishes when you get a break from school. I remember those days when getting my Bachelors and Masters Degree......it was precious time to get out for a bit to hunt..... and my dad would always just smile and shake his head while helping clean the blood out of the trunk of his 1967 Oldsmobile from his borrowed car I had to use.

The good ol' days......... smile

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 10:07 AM

Originally posted by BowBo:
Great Eight!

Isn't baiting legal there?
Yes baiting is legal in Ohio. Which makes it even sweeter when you don't use bait to score in Ohio. Kinda feels like using your bow here in gun season......ya know you could be using something else, but you choose to do it "your way".

Very satisfying.......

.........and usually the target of a few dis-believers or "egg-throwers" that don't understand "personal goals and personal values" (yes, even when nobody is looking) ........or does not want to give credit where credit is due.
Posted By: HS Strut

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 11:50 AM

Dew,
I totally respect your passion and time spent on hunting big bucks. Not only do you score big every year but it's not by accident. I'm not willing to invest that much time. So I don't have the success you have.
Nice Work!

I do think trail cams should be illegal though. I realize they are perfectly legal, but to me it's a far better advantage than a baitpile. At the very least, they should have to be pulled a couple weeks prior to deer season. To me, sitting in my recliner or worse yet, on the clock at work checking pictures and times and dates with a smartphone... To me, that's crossing the line

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 12:17 PM

Originally posted by HS Strut:
To me, sitting in my recliner or worse yet, on the clock at work checking pictures and times and dates with a smartphone... To me, that's crossing the line
I agree....... the whole "being able to check the cams with your cell phone" has rubbed me the wrong way too. The Moultrie M-80's I use, you have to physically be at the cams to switch SD cards. There is no doubt....cam information does help. For me though.... the cams don't dictate my stand selection sites....they simply help me determine what bucks are in the area that may slip by my stands. It's always nice to know if you may have 3,4 or 5 bucks in the area over 150...or bigger to shoot at..........or nothing at all in the area that peaks my interest.

It also helps with my own termed "Soft Center/Fine Center" philosophy of approach to big buck hunting.
Posted By: Dtone

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 08:00 PM

Scarlett, could you elaborate on what that philosophy means? Thanks.

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 08:35 PM

The continued march of technology makes for great discussion and argument. After following a couple of prominent outfitters in Kentucky over the last couple of years I have come to a clear conclusion that baiting is a much stronger advantage then cameras, any camera, even the texting cameras. But remember, trad guys were rubbled the wrong way by bow with wheels, vertical guys rubbed the wrong way by crossbows, archery guys rubbed the wrong way by gun guys, many rubbed the wrong way by regular trail cameras when they were first introduced. And the list goes on. It has taken me a long time to realize that being rubbed the wrong way about use of legal technology is of little value and use of whatever technology is available should never be questioned or judged with a legal harvest. The issue with you Dew is that you do it your way and you do it well. That's not to suggest it is better or worse then anyone else regardless of size of harvest, use of technology or outcome of effort. You are simply to be congratulated on your accomplished like all others who harvest a deer.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 08:53 PM

Originally posted by delaney:
The continued march of technology makes for great discussion and argument. After following a couple of prominent outfitters in Kentucky over the last couple of years I have come to a clear conclusion that baiting is a much stronger advantage then cameras, any camera, even the texting cameras. But remember, trad guys were rubbled the wrong way by bow with wheels, vertical guys rubbed the wrong way by crossbows, archery guys rubbed the wrong way by gun guys, many rubbed the wrong way by regular trail cameras when they were first introduced. And the list goes on. It has taken me a long time to realize that being rubbed the wrong way about use of legal technology is of little value and use of whatever technology is available should never be questioned or judged with a legal harvest. The issue with you Dew is that you do it your way and you do it well. That's not to suggest it is better or worse then anyone else regardless of size of harvest, use of technology or outcome of effort. You are simply to be congratulated on your accomplished like all others who harvest a deer.
Since they are used by EVERY deer hunter in one form or another, most have long forgotten the single biggest advancement in "modern" deer hunting.…..the portable tree stand! I don't ever hear anybody bitching about someone using them!

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 09:06 PM

Point taken Yaz!
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/11/2014 09:22 PM

Slugs and mechanical broad heads....bullets...trail cams..bunny boots... :rolleyes: Where ya wanna go??

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 07:28 AM

What are bunny boots?
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 07:49 AM

http://www.jaxmercantile.com/produc...ew.html?gclid=COjm_5ON9cECFfTm7AodrR8AMw

Originally posted by traditionalarcher17:
What are bunny boots?

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 08:01 AM

Got ya, seen em before just no idea that was them. Are they that warm?

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 08:57 AM

Trad, my wife and I floated a river in Michigan a couple of years ago with temps that never got above 12 above. We were in the river for 5 and a half hours and I wore something similar and they were incredibly warm. And we were standing on ice in the bottom of the boat.

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 09:02 AM

Good to know, thanks.

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Dtone:
Scarlett, could you elaborate on what that philosophy means? Thanks.
Dtone...... someday I will write a book on what I do. But I only have shared my "thoughts" and "philosophy" on how to kill older deer with a few friends at this point. The one friend had not killed a book deer in over 20 years of hunting. Once I filled him in on what I do....he collected 5 book entries in the next deer he shot the following years. Another friend this year was struggling to shoot a book deer in over 10 years of hunting.....I filled him in on just one piece of what to start looking for..... he put it together..... and now has his first P&Y deer to his name as of just a few days ago.

How I go about things is not on any deer video..... I kinda laugh at those videos..... they are nothing more than marketing ploys for products. I do not have a "product"....I have a "strategy".

Once I get out of this sport.....I have told many I'll write a book and share what I do. It comes from things I have put together from what my College Baseball Coach taught me about "becoming the best" (went on to be an instructional coach for the Detroit Tigers)....and things I have learned in my BS, and MS Psychology Degrees that I have simply applied to "older deer". How's that for a recipe......LOL!! smile

I didn't really start doing what I do until the early 90's ........and I tweeked what I was learning about my method until about year 2001....and then stuck with what worked. Has yielded me 20 record book entries....and has inspired a few of my buddies too with what they want to accomplish.

It does involve work.........which weeds out 95% of those that may want to try it. But it draws 100% of those that want to "have the knowledge for free"...and get pizzed when they don't have it or know it, and let envy take over. I get that all the time. Kinda humorous. They are the kind that post things like "+1...pass the popcorn" and other pieces of JR.High dung that are their identity and shallow walk in this life they resort to when they "don't have the answer....but they want to look like they do". Enough on that.....don't want to get the "Bees of Nothing" stirred up to much...LOL!!

I just encourage all that hunt.....find something that works for you and your goals......pursue it.....have fun with it.... and have a blast out there. Dont' get caught up in what someone else may have that you don't......just enjoy what brings a smile to your experience out there.

Good hunting all..... cool

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 11:55 AM

I honestly think in the end envy is going to destroy hunting in the long run and it's a **** shame.
Posted By: DFA

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 02:24 PM

Hard work weeds out 99% of people in every area. Hard work or hard work with directed insight is what leads to success 99% of the time. That was a very good post Scarlett. I'd read that book. I might or might not follow the direction but I enjoy reading anything by people that are passionate and well written on any topic.
Posted By: Dtone

Re: Tecumseh goes down in Ohio..... - 11/12/2014 09:05 PM

Originally posted by DFA:
Hard work weeds out 99% of people in every area. Hard work or hard work with directed insight is what leads to success 99% of the time. That was a very good post Scarlett. I'd read that book. I might or might not follow the direction but I enjoy reading anything by people that are passionate and well written on any topic.
+1
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting