Home

Deer Rifle Rumor

Posted By: Ruger Man

Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/07/2014 08:10 PM

I heard a rumor that if the state allows hpr's that they may leave it up to each individual county to pass an ordinance on whether to allow hpr's for deer hunting. Sounds like a hot mess if it's true.
Posted By: Magnum hunter

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 07:58 AM

Ya it does
Posted By: Steiny

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 08:42 AM

States like Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota have rifle and shotgun zones.

Wouldn't be a bad idea in Indiana to keep the weapons we have legal now in the more heavily populated counties and allow rifles in the very rural counties.

I really have my doubts that the "all rifles" thing will ever be legalized in Indiana? Guess we will see soon enough.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 09:09 AM

People can argue all they want that's it's legal for coyotes and Yada yada, but on any given day are there Give or take 100,000 coyote hunters in the woods at the same time? I don't like the idea not just from a safety standpoint, bc even people get shot while turkey hunting every year and those are at max 60-70 yard guns most shots under 30, but it is taking some of the hunt out of it. But that's just my opinion.
Posted By: SFC (R) B

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 01:18 PM

Living now in CO and having also hunted in NC, WA, TX and IN (with IN being the only place not allowing HPR) I think that not allowing HPRs is pretty ridiculous, especially in the Southern half of the state where things are more wooded and rolling hills. I will also say that in IN, from my experience, I don't see really long shots being much of an issue anyway as they are generally not necessary. I think it only makes sense to allow appropriate weapons for the taking of game. Dead is dead and I would much rather have more precision instruments leading to cleaner kills.
Posted By: jbwhttail

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 03:47 PM

Alot to do about nothing we are all ready there!

Back in the 80's I warned DNR when they wanted to allow handguns, no worry they said it will be very limited. Soon after a DNR employee wanted to hunt with his .243 handgun and they changed the rules to allow centerfire handguns in .243 or larger centerfire cartridges. Then came muzzleloaders using modern powder, and shotguns using sabot rounds, longer and loger range guns. Next came the PCR rifles which led to wildcat rounds in those same rifles and changes from straight wall cartridges to just a case length. Next was the crossbow in archery season, all for "opportunity". Sportsmen complained about limited time to practice and wanted the easiest and most efficient tool to kill deer. We added suppressors so it would be easier on the ears(yea right)PCR's and crossbows in the name of women and children, and yes manufaturers had alot of influence also.

So here we are today with a few people concerned about range and safety of another deer killing tool, no study has shown the HPR being anymore unsafe than the traditional shotgun slug/sabot. As Woody Williams proclaimed about the crossbow when he got it approved, "It is much about nothing and in a couple of years people wont care what the guy next door is using. As I have said for years it is all about opportunity and revenue with IDNR, gotta keep hunters happy and sell licenses!

What's next? Mark my words it is the air rifle. The technology is there and rifle in deer killing calibers are available today. It will be great for kids and women, verry little recoil, no noise, less cost in ammo......sound familiar?

Soon as the HPR rule passes I'll be hunting with my Weatherby,.300wsm, looking to tip and Indiana whitetail over with it. Heck I won it in a $20.00 raffle at a QDMA banquet. Gotta use it somewhere.....LOL(sarcasim)

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 05:36 PM

^^^^ smile
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 07:09 PM

I am setting up a .243.

Worst case, I have an awesome coyote rifle and out of state rifle, best case scenario, a 300 yard IN deer gun I can hunt with in 2015
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 07:11 PM

I hunt in so IN, I hunt on lots of places with safe and ethical 300+ yd shots available.

Power line cuts, big open ag fields, etc.

Originally posted by SFC B:
.....I think that not allowing HPRs is pretty ridiculous, especially in the Southern half of the state where things are more wooded and rolling hills. ..

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 09:36 PM

If this is the way it goes down you may have a hodge-podge of counties allowing/disallowing hpr for deer. You could have island non-hpr counties surrounded by legal hpr counties or vice/versa. It would make it interesting if your land is divided by a county line.
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/08/2014 10:33 PM

I believe this rumor is just that and put no value in it. DNR will make the decision for the whole state of Indiana.
Posted By: Double B

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/09/2014 11:24 AM

Agree w Jack, but have no inside knowledge. You could see limitations on fish and wildlife areas, state park hunts, quota hunts or even state forests etc. We'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/09/2014 01:02 PM

Spreading rumors is for gossipy chicks and weaselly politicians. Man up!
Posted By: Scarlett Dew

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/09/2014 01:18 PM

Where there is addition of "something"'and the "all weapons" list is complete.....

..... There WILL be a reduction in something else. wink

Bring on those HPR's and any other weapon of "want" ...... It just lays the foundation for "something else".

God I love Woody....... What comes around goes around..... And will come full circle.

Ohhhhhhh the tantrums from a few we will see..... There won't be enough popcorn to pop as we sit around and watch "the show"...... LOL!!!!
Posted By: jjas

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/09/2014 03:22 PM

I don't see inclusion/exclusion of the hpr reg based on individual county governmental decisions. What a nightmare that would be.

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/09/2014 05:04 PM

Originally posted by John Scifres:
Spreading rumors is for gossipy chicks and weaselly politicians. Man up!
Lighten up Francis

It says "Rumor" in the topic. You clicked on it and read it. laugh

I don't know if this is true or not. I've worked in various forms of government for 19 years. Rumors, especially in government tend to have a hint of truth.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/09/2014 09:22 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/09/2014 09:27 PM

laugh laugh
Posted By: Ken Bacon

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/10/2014 07:21 AM

I personally don't care either way... it just feels that were were rail roaded this direction by a group that wanted HPRs...

starting with the handguns in rifle calibers... "oh we will be happy with this... we don't need HPRs"

then the PCRs... "oh we will be happy with this... we can get our wives & children in the woods easier... we don't need HPRs"

Then the addition of other legal "PCR calibers" favoring wildcat rounds very close in performance to HPRs... "oh we will be happy with this... we don't need real HPRs... but..."
Now a few years later... here we are again...

We already had the crossbows shoved down our throats... now HPRs...

I am sure that if they are made legal... I will own one at some point... but there won't be as huge of a jump in people rushing out to buy them... as many people already own HPRs
Posted By: jjas

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/10/2014 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Ken Bacon:
I personally don't care either way... it just feels that were were rail roaded this direction by a group that wanted HPRs...

starting with the handguns in rifle calibers... "oh we will be happy with this... we don't need HPRs"

then the PCRs... "oh we will be happy with this... we can get our wives & children in the woods easier... we don't need HPRs"

Then the addition of other legal "PCR calibers" favoring wildcat rounds very close in performance to HPRs... "oh we will be happy with this... we don't need real HPRs... but..."
Now a few years later... here we are again...

We already had the crossbows shoved down our throats... now HPRs...

I am sure that if they are made legal... I will own one at some point... but there won't be as huge of a jump in people rushing out to buy them... as many people already own HPRs
I have to say, I love this post.....

One one hand Mr. Bacon says (and I'm paraphrasing).....

"We were railroaded into rifle caliber pistols, pcrs, crossbows and now.....HPRs"

But on the other hand...Mr. Bacon finishes with....(and I quote).....

"I am sure that if they are made legal... I will own one at some point..."

Best post I've read in months......
Posted By: blackoak

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/10/2014 04:22 PM

Yeah, It really pissed me off when they shoved crossbows down our throats, but man I really love my Mission MXB320. It's going to be a deer killing machine.LOL

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/10/2014 04:38 PM

Just so ya'll know, as soon as it passes I am bringing the '06 home with me and IT (not me) is always right on target smile I know that where I hunt it won't change my distances for shots, just make them better shots.
Posted By: Double B

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/10/2014 09:05 PM

Bring it SFC B. I got a 7 mag that has only killed out west. Not a safe queen but a tack driver. It will get some work too in the right places.

Re: Deer Rifle Rumor - 10/11/2014 06:05 PM

I just put a Vortex HS 4x16 on my '06 and I can now count whiskers on deer smile
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting