Home

First Big Oaks hunt this weekend

Posted By: adamantium77

First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 06:03 AM

Any tips on big oaks? Will be stuck taking the safety briefing the morning of, but plan on being in the tree all day, both days. Camping at Clifty falls for the weekend. Wouldn't mind meeting some decent people too.
Posted By: garman6

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 07:48 AM

I will be there this weekend. What area are you in? My best advise to you, and I have hunted in there since it opened, is to find the sign, don't just hunt trails(that doesn't work) find the piles of poo under the oaks that they are hitting and wait them out. If your lucky enough to find a persimmon tree that has fruit, I would look no further! Don't get caught up in that mind game that you have to be way back in there either, some of the best hunting is within ear shot of the roads.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 08:10 AM

garman6, I'm in 52. Thanks for the heads up. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: animalhouse

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 09:35 AM

I'll be there as well. Anyone else notice in the paperwork that the checkout time looks to be 8pm now, or am i reading it wrong? ?
Posted By: BREW...

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 10:06 AM

Originally posted by animalhouse:
I'll be there as well. Anyone else notice in the paperwork that the checkout time looks to be 8pm now, or am i reading it wrong? ?
Same as always .... 8pm in Oct 7pm in Nov
Posted By: bean

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 10:06 AM

Originally posted by garman6:
I will be there this weekend. What area are you in? My best advise to you, and I have hunted in there since it opened, is to find the sign, don't just hunt trails(that doesn't work) find the piles of poo under the oaks that they are hitting and wait them out. If your lucky enough to find a persimmon tree that has fruit, I would look no further! Don't get caught up in that mind game that you have to be way back in there either, some of the best hunting is within ear shot of the roads.
This is my 6th year hunting big oaks and the above advice is pretty dead on. I will be there on November 3 and 15-16.

Also don't get frustrated. It can be a hard hunt especially until you get used to the system ang get to know some ares.
Posted By: Magnum hunter

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 10:14 AM

Have fun camping at Clifty Falls laugh ...that place is awesome. Also, good luck

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 11:09 AM

Originally posted by BREW...:
Originally posted by animalhouse:
[b] I'll be there as well. Anyone else notice in the paperwork that the checkout time looks to be 8pm now, or am i reading it wrong? ?
Same as always .... 8pm in Oct 7pm in Nov [/b]
Thanks Brew.

Guess my memory is foggy, or I'm thinking of BO turkey hunt check out time that was early afternoon. smile

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 01:33 PM

I am very excited for these first 2 hunts, I am in there for the primitive hunt as well. I got the same area both hunts so IF they are there I should have it figured out. Plus I really enjoy hunting in there. Good luck to everyone hope to run into a few of you.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/07/2014 02:47 PM

Good luck fellas!

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/10/2014 09:17 AM

Good luck to all at big oaks this weekend. If anyone is staying at clifty falls, or in the area, let's share a beer and a story.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/10/2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by adamantlum77:
Good luck to all at big oaks this weekend. If anyone is staying at clifty falls, or in the area, let's share a beer and a story.
My dad could say amen to that bro! laugh
Posted By: antiwheeze

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/10/2014 06:26 PM

Looks like I'll be there. My buddy wants to try the NS.
Archery there is usually tough. Gun was even tough last year.
As for tips, pic an area that's not popular and scout it out for gun season. I hear persimmons might be a gold mine this year due to an abundance of acorns.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/11/2014 05:44 PM

Persimmons were almost as plentiful as acorns. Only managed to attract a coyote.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/12/2014 10:31 AM

Saw 3 bucks yesterday, acorns everywhere, persimmons need a good frost. It's very slow today so far, I saw my first deer yesterday at 5pm. One buck was pretty nice. Next weekends muzzleloader hunt will be awesome.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/12/2014 01:55 PM

We've had a good frost the last two mornings. I'll be at BO next weekend for the primitive hunt. h.h.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/13/2014 07:28 PM

Saw 3 bucks yesterday, acorns everywhere, persimmons need a good frost. It's very slow today so far, I saw my first deer yesterday at 5pm. One buck was pretty nice. Next weekends muzzleloader hunt will be awesome.
Were mosquitoes bad? Im taking thermo cell and plenty of refills. h.h.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/13/2014 08:43 PM

Only saw a couple spikes and a forkie. Couple slow days. 16 checked in when we left ~3pm Sunday.

Mosquitoes were not bad - only a few bothering me, but it was fairly windy most of the weekend - probably not a bad idea to take the ThermaCell

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/14/2014 07:24 AM

I only saw a couple mosquitos. The one thing I did notice was that all the deer were in the area I couldn't hunt! Those suckers know where they are safe. Bow hunting in there is really tough, but with my smoke pole they will be in trouble!

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/14/2014 07:26 AM

I only saw a couple mosquitos. The one thing I did notice was that all the deer were in the area I couldn't hunt! Those suckers know where they are safe. Bow hunting in there is really tough, but with my smoke pole they will be in trouble!
Let's hope they move this weekend!

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/14/2014 12:26 PM

The deer not the misquotes😀

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/14/2014 01:43 PM

ITs supposed to be crappy weather then break this weekend. I know the east winds were killing me! its supposed to shift to straight west. Im keeping my fingers crossed that they move!

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/14/2014 04:28 PM

We will be in the same area as last year. Will be there on Friday to view the video and get hunting passes. Last year I shot a small buck but this year Im trophy hunting. Im mainly going just to be in the woods and really dont care if I kill a deer or not. h.h.
Posted By: BowBo

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/14/2014 04:38 PM

Originally posted by antiwheeze:
The deer not the misquotes😀
LOL, and that is exactly what ^that^ line is! wink
Just pickin' wheeze! :p

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/14/2014 05:54 PM

Originally posted by BowBo:
[b] The deer not the misquotes😀
LOL, and that is exactly what ^that^ line is! wink
Just pickin' wheeze! :p [/b]
That's what u get when an old man uses an iPhone 😁

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/15/2014 01:45 PM

Has anybody seen a big shooter buck anytime yet this season? Just curious...I know that on our farms that we will be seeing more bucks when the pre-rut/rut come in

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/16/2014 05:52 PM

Good luck to all you B.O. primitive guys. Hope to see you in your moccasins and buck skins this weekend. As old bearclaw would say "watch ur'n top not". h.h.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/17/2014 04:13 PM

I hear that archery equipment may also be used at Big Oaks this weekend.
Posted By: BREW...

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/17/2014 04:50 PM

I hear that archery equipment may also be used at Big Oaks this weekend.
yep....just started this year....gotta wear orange though !!!!

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 10:35 AM

There were 12 guys hunting with archery during the primitive hunt, 3 checked deer.

I killed a big old doe on Saturday morning and never saw another deer. 2 others in our group both missed deer on Saturday evening and nothing on Sunday.

Deer herd is down from last year according to B.O. staff. Did not see a deer going in or out of the refuge on Saturday morning or evening and saw 3 right at the guard gate on Sunday evening. Last year we saw a lot of deer going in and out. Lots of acorns.

B.O. staff wanted to take my picture and use it on their website to promote the primitive hunt but I passed. Told them to use someone who was better looking. eek h.h.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 12:07 PM

Congrats HH!
Posted By: Cornfed

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 12:29 PM

Congrats.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 01:32 PM

Congrats HH.
Thought about taking my crossbow for turkeys. Never saw or heard them.
Saturday with the wind and spitting rain was yucky but things got better for me Sunday morning smile
My buddy had his chance too but his muzzy doesnt work very well without a cap mad

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 02:15 PM

I only saw 1 deer and my friend killed it, a little spiker. IT was very disappointing as the weekend before we saw some nice deer. On the way home I saw 3 dead bucks in the ditch along 421 just north of the gates! Congrats HH on your doe.
Posted By: delaney

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 02:47 PM

Congrats HH.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 04:22 PM

Congrats wheeze on your deer.

Saturday morning just as we got out of the truck it started raining for about 20 mins, then slaked up.

Saturday evening as we were checking out at the office a guy came in and wanted to give away his muzzle loader because it missed fired 6 times. One of the staff at the office was going outside with him as we left, dont know if he ended up with the gun or not. Many guys were complaining about miss fires. h.h.
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 06:16 PM

lol

wish id have been there
Posted By: fullrut

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 09:11 PM

I told you that was the best place to hunt in all of Big Oaks Antiwheeze. CONGRATS on your deer. I have heard tell of Several other nice ones to come from your spot. wink
Posted By: DFA

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 09:37 PM

Wheeze, any pics? Didn't see any topics with pics of your deer. What was it!?!?

Spent Sat/Sun as well - saw 6 does and a 2.5yr old 8 pointer. Could've easily shot all but 2 of the does. Passed on all.

Too funny about the misfires. I loaded my renegade hot, removed nipple and packed it tight w extra haha - also kept it covered during the rain. Fired well.
Posted By: DFA

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/20/2014 09:38 PM

Oh, I saw Lotta turkeys and even had a covey of quail scurry through the thick stuff I was in on Sunday.

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/22/2014 06:26 PM

This is a video I shot of us retrieving the doe I shot at B.O.NWR. Nothing great about the video but 13 year old Andrew lost his ramrod back at the gut pile. Luckily I found it that evening when I came out of the woods. The group was father, son, grandson and I was on the cam. h.h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbeiDPInjXM

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/23/2014 08:16 PM

Another BO weekend coming up for me. Looks like a heat wave! frown

Anyone else there this weekend?

Re: First Big Oaks hunt this weekend - 10/23/2014 08:36 PM

Had a good area picked out and knew where the deer are. Partner who was drawn is having surgery.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting