Home

steps or climbing sticks???

Posted By: Magnum hunter

steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 05:08 PM

I need to know what you guys think is best for a hang on...? money wise too laugh
Posted By: delaney

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 05:23 PM

Climbing sticks.
Posted By: ferb55

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 05:51 PM

Sticks if you aren't dragging them in and out everytime.
Posted By: BowBo

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 06:14 PM

Sticks
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 06:35 PM

sticks

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 06:36 PM

not the cheapest but these are the best for mobile setups

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Wolf-Pc-...9351757&sr=8-2&keywords=lone+wolf+sticks
Posted By: Magnum hunter

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 06:47 PM

Thanks bros! now I know what to buy...just expensive
Posted By: bean

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 06:49 PM

You can gets sticks for under $50.00 that will work fine.
Posted By: sticksender

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/29/2014 09:10 PM

This year I'll be using a wood bit, a portable drill, and 7" x 3/8-inch grade 5 hex-head cap screws. They're 50 cents each. My local archery shop sells the bits and the bolts. He's been doing it that way himself, and selling these bolts and bits for years. Once your holes are drilled, it's a breeze to carry a dozen of the bolts with you. They slide right in and back out, so you can take them home with you daily if you want, to prevent theft of your stand. Best suited for private land of course, where you're allowed to bore the trees.

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/30/2014 06:18 AM

any issues with the bolts sliding out when you are climbing?

Are you screwing them in or putting them into drilled holes?

Originally posted by sticksender:
This year I'll be using a wood bit, a portable drill, and 7" x 3/8-inch grade 5 hex-head cap screws. They're 50 cents each. My local archery shop sells the bits and the bolts. He's been doing it that way himself, and selling these bolts and bits for years. Once your holes are drilled, it's a breeze to carry a dozen of the bolts with you. They slide right in and back out, so you can take them home with you daily if you want, to prevent theft of your stand. Best suited for private land of course, where you're allowed to bore the trees.

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/30/2014 09:41 AM

The bolts slide into the holes. You drill the holes on a slight downward angle so the head of the bolt is tilted upward very slightly. He's been doing this for several years on all of his portable sets. Also you only need one set of bolts even if you have 2 dozen stand locations. I'll know more after a season of trying it out myself.

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/30/2014 10:42 AM

is it lonesome elk archery that sells them? Would like to check them out.
Posted By: jbwhttail

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/30/2014 11:16 AM

One thing to think about as you use the drill and bolt system is the threat to the tree from boring a hole deep into the tree. parasites and disease have a free pass into the tree. One reason I quit using tree steps years ago.

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/30/2014 04:25 PM

76 yes it is. He has an order of them coming in for me.

Yeah most of my stands are in lowland trees like cottonwood, silver maple, boxelder, green ash.

I wouldn't want to bore holes in good upland trees like walnut, white oak or black cherry.

Posted By: animalhouse

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 08/30/2014 10:29 PM

Originally posted by jbwhttail:
One thing to think about as you use the drill and bolt system is the threat to the tree from boring a hole deep into the tree. parasites and disease have a free pass into the tree. One reason I quit using tree steps years ago.
+1
Posted By: Parrot Head

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 09/02/2014 06:12 AM

Get some TV antenas it is all I use and they are free.
Posted By: pav

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 09/02/2014 06:39 AM

I have used the Cranford EZ Climb detachable folding steps for years. No need for a drill or bit. Start the screw with your fingers and finish the job using the step as a crank. Quick, easy and quiet.

[Linked Image]

If I intend to hunt a particular tree more than once, the screws remain in the tree until I'm done for the season. I've probably accumulated a couple hundred tree screws over the years.

That said, the older I get, the more regard I have for my own mortality. Been transitioning to climbing sticks w/lifelines the past few years.
Still use the steps on an "as needed" basis...but in conjunction with double lineman's belts...in order to stay attached to the tree at all times.
I wasn't always so cautious.....

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 09/02/2014 10:26 AM

menards has 20 foot ladders on sale

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...20-climbing-ladder/p-2026621-c-13885.htm
Posted By: jjas

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 09/02/2014 10:31 AM

Of the two...sticks.
Posted By: Steiny

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 09/02/2014 02:09 PM

Not a fan of either.
I use ladder stands or a climber. Much safer option than any type of screw in or hang on step system and the hang on type tree stands.
Posted By: DEC

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 09/02/2014 02:53 PM

Sticks with a static life line for me. I'm not a fan of screw in steps. Too easy for them to come out of the tree, they damage a tree, and too many people have slipped and gut hooked themselves on them. No thanks.
Posted By: DUNN

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 09/16/2014 02:37 PM

Awesome system for being portable were the old strap on steps. Not sure if anyone still makes em though. Used em for years on public land. I now use sticks on private ground. Very nice compared to any kind of steps.
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: steps or climbing sticks??? - 09/17/2014 05:37 PM

I still use the strap on steps on public land but use the screw-in steps on private land when needed. But I definitely prefer the safety of a ladder stand. Sticks are nice too.

So I guess, if I had to do it on a limited budget, I would not have a problem with screw-in steps on private land in trees that have no value with the permission of the landowner smile

As far as safety of them, I have never fallen or had one come out of the tree and I have been using them for 25+ years. Always check them and take responsibility for your own safety. They do kinda suck with muddy or wet boots, climbing down in the dark. Take your time, use a light and a static line with your harness. Also, anticipate where your nuts (I assume you have nuts but the other option would be no fun either I would guess) are gonna be if you fall and make sure there isn't a step there.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting