Home

Shades State Park

Posted By: Parke

Shades State Park - 11/14/2013 12:17 PM

Going to Shades on 11/18&19 for the first time as I filled my buck tag on 11/12. Anybody have any opinions on the place? Scouted it the other day and looked pretty good. Not asking for tips on where to set up just looking for some info on how many deer you've saw in there and quality of bucks. Thanks for any info
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Shades State Park - 11/14/2013 12:27 PM

I live about 20 min from the park. Great quality of bucks. Very rugged terrain in places.

I would find a good thick funnel and plan to sit all day and let the foot soldiers run the deer to you.
Posted By: daworz

Re: Shades State Park - 11/14/2013 04:23 PM

76 chevy is spot on sit all day, take food and stay comfy, you will see deer, and maybe a Big Buck, I drove past there there early fall and saw 2 big Bucks, Place has some dandy Bucks.
Posted By: huntingtime

Re: Shades State Park - 11/15/2013 08:40 AM

I shot a nice one 2 years ago, it field dressed over 200lbs and was a main frame 12 with a sticker. I'm hunting it again on Dec 2nd and 3rd, wish I would have got drawn for the first hunt this year. Just sit tight, all the other hunters walking around will kick to to you for sure. Good luck
Posted By: glad2hunt

Re: Shades State Park - 11/15/2013 10:53 AM

Shot 2-deer and my buddy shot 2 last year. I would have been able to take a 140 class buck but I did not have my gun with me when retrieving the doe. It is a good hunt.. go deep into the woods (3/4-1mile) and you will not see other folks at all. Stay put or stay within 200yds of what appears like solid deer sign and you will take some meat home.
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Shades State Park - 11/15/2013 11:00 AM

Parke my son and I will be there on the 18-19th as well. We were drawn for area 3. I have had buds that have had grreat success. Good luck to you.

Re: Shades State Park - 11/15/2013 11:47 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. Will make it a little easier to sit all day. Good luck to you as well, maddog.
Posted By: Foamyflyer

Re: Shades State Park - 11/20/2013 07:17 AM

Anybody have thoughts on area #2? I'll be there on Dec 2 and 3.

Re: Shades State Park - 11/21/2013 12:00 PM

foamyflyer,
I hunted area 2 on monday. good sign but only saw 1 deer and my dad saw 0. area has numerous large bluffs that the deer just run off of when they're pushed and you wont see them again unless you want to walk a mile then drag one out a mile back up these bluffs. i'm no lazy hunter by any means but these bluffs were not something i was going to deal with. not many shots in there also. i hunted near the southern boundary of the area. tons of rubs (BIG RUBS) tracks, deer ****, etc. looked pretty good even though i only saw 1 deer. if you go to the extreme north side of the area there are a lot of downed trees that looked good as well.
Posted By: Foamyflyer

Re: Shades State Park - 11/22/2013 11:37 AM

Thanks Parke, much appreciated. I've been in the park many times, but not in area 2. Hopefully I'll connect with something.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting