Home

Need advise

Posted By: Irish Hunter

Need advise - 11/04/2013 08:43 AM

I bumped a pretty good buck out of his bed yesterday. He was bedded down under a tree top that was cut last year. He jumped up and took two big leaps before turning and looking at me. I got to draw but he walked behind a tree before I could release.

He didnt seemed alarmed or blow , just walked off. I think I have his scrape and rub line figured out but did not expect to bump him out. It was 2:30 in the afternoon.

My question is ; Will this buck leave the area or remain. I covered his scrapes to see if he will re freshen them or if another buck will.
Posted By: Hanes

Re: Need advise - 11/04/2013 09:01 AM

If he catches up with doe in heat, and he will very soon, he will follow her wherever she goes. My suggestion is dont walk around anymore, don't mess with the scrapes unless you're only freshening them and get in a stand along a travel route and wait. I believe that it's generally too late in the game to he walking around and bumping the deer because there are increasing reasons that they will move.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Need advise - 11/04/2013 02:51 PM

I would find the best funnel and sit there. He or another buck will be back....
Posted By: daworz

Re: Need advise - 11/05/2013 06:38 PM

Walk to your Stand, as quick as possible, without spending alot of time wandering? and Get On stand, sit as long if not all day, Bucks will be crusing if not all ready, and at anytime you could have a Buck of a Life time come in.I would'nt worry to much about bummping him, just for futher refrence now you know that something can bed at the tree tops. If your currious about finding scrapes and Rubs, I would wait and do it when you have a Gun and Can pull up alot faster, Or wait till season is over, Thats some of the best time to scout, for next year? But I know its Hard to sit in stand and wounder, whats up ahead another 100 yards.
Posted By: recon33alpha

Re: Need advise - 11/05/2013 07:43 PM

You need to be at work then you won't spook deer!!!!! Hahaha
Posted By: Scarlett Dew

Re: Need advise - 11/05/2013 07:53 PM

He won't go anywhere far. Don't mess with the scrapes.
Posted By: Hunter Dan

Re: Need advise - 11/06/2013 11:21 AM

I think we give deer too much credit. They can not "reason" like a human. He was just reacting to the situation. He probably heard, saw or smelled you and he was getting the heck out of there.

Actually, it sounds like he just heard something he couldn't identify. If he would have seen and/or smelled you he would have bolted and left the area.

I say he will return to that area at some point. I don't think deer remember every time they are startled and avoid those areas forever.
Posted By: DUNN

Re: Need advise - 11/07/2013 01:07 PM

Yeah I don't have to worry about that cause I am always at work. Until vacation comes next week! oh and maybe some the week after. Time off for bow and then gun...
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting