Home

Aging eyes and bow sight

Posted By: kicker

Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/16/2013 05:00 PM

Well lets just say that middle age stinks. My distance vision is 20/20 however, anything up close like arms length away is blurry. I have a Cooper John Dead Nuts 3 with the biggest diopter pins they make and it is still blurry. If I wear my reading glasses everything is perfect but then I have to keep looking over top of them for any thing in the distance. Those of us that are pushing late forties and need reading glasses is there a solution to this other than getting a set of bifocals
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/16/2013 05:36 PM

sorry to hear that,,, Mine was a cross bow or quit because I couldnt see anything good enough to make a good shot
Posted By: B ZEB

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/16/2013 07:51 PM

I just went to a pendelum sight only got one pin to mess with.....lol
Posted By: gundude

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/16/2013 08:06 PM

Single pin and kisser button..
Posted By: Derslayer1

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/16/2013 08:20 PM

I,m 52 and have the same exact problem. I see better than 20/20 but cant read the dam paper. Reading glasses I see the pins perfect but the target is fuzzy. I do have some safety glasses I got from a job, the have the bifocals cut into the lens. (cheaters)They help some but you still have to focus on one or the other... the spot you want to hit, or the pins.
Posted By: dblevans

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/16/2013 08:31 PM

Try a verifier peep?
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/16/2013 08:58 PM

Recurve
Posted By: backwoods

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/16/2013 11:47 PM

HHA Optimizer. Best sight I've ever shot on a bow. Bright single pin and yardage adjustable.
Posted By: powderfinger

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/17/2013 05:34 AM

My brother has a Toxonics sight with a 3x lens. Really helped him.

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/17/2013 12:32 PM

thanks. found out that that make a lens for the sight.
Posted By: Derslayer1

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/17/2013 06:15 PM

Come off it Kicker!
Posted By: BOBinIN

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/18/2013 01:22 PM

It sucks to get old and loose that wonderful vision we used to have!
My solution... was to mount a pistol scope (they have a long eye relief) on to my bow. The scope I use has a range of 2 to 7 power but I leave it set on the lowest power. I don't need any magnification, what I needed was a clear picture of the target with a crosshair to aim with. I have it zeroed at 25 yards and would have to hold over for longer distances, so I try to keep my shots within that distance. Give it some thought, It worked for me. Good luck out there. BOBinIN

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/18/2013 04:27 PM

Derslyer1,

Cooper John make a lens and lens housing for there sights. According to customer service the dead nuts3 accepts the bezel and lens. I ordered the bezel but they were out of stock of the lenses. if this dosnt work, I was thinking of mounting a red dot sight up.

BobinIN: never thought of that, thanks. i just happenen to have some pistol scope laying around will tinker with them
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/18/2013 04:41 PM

Kicker..... if it is the PINS that you are having a hard time seeing.... this may be your better bet.... especially if you use a peep anyway?! http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/reviews/archery/verifier.php

I think the sight lenses "usually" magnifies (a little) everything beyond the lens (target and pins).... but not really helping to bring the pins into "focus" along with your target focus.
I'm not sure what they offer these days on the sight lenses... it may be different now.

Just thought I would throw out another option....

Good luck!
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/18/2013 09:22 PM

My Excalibur has a 4X scope mounted on it.

The more I shoot it the more I love it!
Posted By: BOBinIN

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/19/2013 06:10 AM

Kicker,
Another option to consider that I have used in the past...I think it cost me about $75.00, was a red laser. (Matter of face, I think I still have it down in the den.) It's easier to mount to the bow because of it's compact and lightweight size. I was curious as to how deer would react when they saw the pea sized red bead of light...they never noticed it at all, although I never shone it directly into their eyes! I wanted to shine it on the ground in front of turkeys to see if I could draw them closer for a shot, but never got the chance. The laser worked extremely well in the shadows or under bad light conditions...but in bright daylight, I have to admit, it was harder to see. Just another "off-the-wall" thing that I have tried. Good luck, BOBinIN
Posted By: daworz

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/21/2013 05:26 AM

Backwoods is right On, I have had My HAA sight now 6 months and Best sight I have ever owned, I had the same Problem. Dam Tuff getting Old, The eye's then the Joints. whats Next
Posted By: skeeterowner

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/21/2013 08:43 PM

All info I'm writing down as I have a year or two before mine hits. Already can't see past 7-8 inches without glasses contacts since a very young age. Gonna be hatin when it happens. But believe its inevitable!
Posted By: deer hunter

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/22/2013 07:55 PM

Yep....getting older stinks. This was the year of getting bifocals for me. Good luck to you!
Posted By: jkissner

Re: Aging eyes and bow sight - 09/22/2013 08:58 PM

One contact works for me. I also have good distance vision. I shoot with both eyes open. I'm left handed and left eye dominant and the contact is in my left eye. It works.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting