Home

2013 Rut Dates?

Posted By: Paoli Predator

2013 Rut Dates? - 09/12/2013 07:45 PM

Just wondering when the rut's "chasing, seeking and tending" days are for the southern Indiana area might be this season.
I used to subscribe to Deer and Deer Hunting magazine and it was always pretty close on their predictions.
Posted By: recon33alpha

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/12/2013 08:21 PM

D&DH predicts a later rut this year. I just read the article yesterday. 3rd week of November will be the peak!
Posted By: jbwhttail

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/12/2013 09:11 PM

Gotta say........ chase and breeding does not change. It is determined by the amount of daylight(which NEVER changes) taken in by the retina. The Pineal gland is the sole determining factor.

Hunt pre rut every year from Halloween until Nov 10, then breeding for a week...... post rut chasing will be from November 15 until Thanksgiving.........

Follow the moon......... and you'll see a bunch of dry days.

I've got eight(8) bucks over 140 inches that proves my theory. Breeding dates can not change unless prime food sources change year to year..... that does not happen.

Good luck, if you want a big mature buck...... bowhunt November 4-8th. Hunt all day! Boone and Crockett records will support my findings. Prime pre rut(breeding) are from Halloween until November 10th for most of the northern continent.

Florida, Texas and the Mississippi Delta herd are the exception
Posted By: Derslayer1

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/13/2013 02:23 AM

same time every year...JB is correct. All about the daylight
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/13/2013 08:14 AM

I agree with the above. The other major variable which effects daylight movement is weather.

With unseasonably warm or windy weather, the seeking/chasing activity may still be going strong, just not during daylight.

A good read about the complexity of the whitetail rut here:

http://charliealsheimer.com/ca/articles/art_rut.html
Posted By: Goosepond_Monster

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/13/2013 09:03 AM

Originally posted by jbwhttail:
Gotta say........ chase and breeding does not change. It is determined by the amount of daylight(which NEVER changes) taken in by the retina. The Pineal gland is the sole determining factor.

Hunt pre rut every year from Halloween until Nov 10, then breeding for a week...... post rut chasing will be from November 15 until Thanksgiving.........

Follow the moon......... and you'll see a bunch of dry days.

I've got eight(8) bucks over 140 inches that proves my theory. Breeding dates can not change unless prime food sources change year to year..... that does not happen.

Good luck, if you want a big mature buck...... bowhunt November 4-8th. Hunt all day! Boone and Crockett records will support my findings. Prime pre rut(breeding) are from Halloween until November 10th for most of the northern continent.

Florida, Texas and the Mississippi Delta herd are the exception
Thanks for that info. One of the best posts I've seen in a thread like this.

That gives me a better idea as to when I need to take my vacation this year. I was leaning toward the 4th through the 8th, so I'm glad to know I was on the right track.
Posted By: ParkerBow

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/13/2013 10:37 PM

JB is right on. The best time to arrow a mature buck is pre-rut. To me the best time to be in the woods is Oct 27th thru Nov 10th every year. They say the best all around day to hunt is Nov 7th. More mature bucks are killed on Nov 7th then any other day. Late Oct is dynamite especially if you get a good cold snap. The mature bucks are on their feet seeking after the 1st estous doe. Just talking about it gets me geeked up. I feel like makeing a scrape and rubbing on the floor lamp in the living room right now. smile
Posted By: johnc911

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/15/2013 06:31 AM

2 of the bucks on my wall both were killed on Nov 1
Posted By: BREW...

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/15/2013 07:54 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: daworz

Re: 2013 Rut Dates? - 09/17/2013 09:55 PM

I have My Vacation set for November 5 till the 19th, although I will be in the woods for all Day sits from The end of Oct also, I always watch the weather and See if any Big Changes in the Weather Like Temp drop, That is a Day to Be On stand and Pack a Lunch, Usally Dark to Dark. I am so Ready, other than Getting My Clothes Ready,
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting