Home

Opening Day Craziness

Posted By: 12GaSlugger

Opening Day Craziness - 11/19/2017 10:30 PM

Got it done on the craziest weather day I have ever hunted in. Biggest buck I have ever taken a shot at as well. Wind gusting to 40 MPH. Torrential rain, thunder and lightning. It started pouring minutes after first light and I had been watching 2 does feed about 400 yards away across a bean field. I got down out of the tree and high tailed it to an old calving shed mere yards from where those two does were feeding. Busted them out of the woods they disappeared into on the way in. One of my hunting partners was already there. After the rain let up about a half hour later we decided to put the doe decoy out in the bean field. While my partner was out putting the decoy out 8 does came of of the woods just south of us and saw him in the field and high tailed it across the south field of the two we were sitting between. 2 hours later this big 8 nicknamed "Troy Aikman" came out exactly where those 8 does did nose down trailing them from earlier. The Henry 30-30 roared at about 60 yards and he went about 35 yards into the woods for his last dirt nap. Extremely lucky opportunity and glad I decided to stick it out opening morning even with the winds and rain and thunder storms. Field dressed right at 190. Blessed to be in the right place at the right time.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/20/2017 05:47 AM

Congrats ! Way to stick it out in the elements !
Posted By: Jeffro

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/20/2017 07:29 AM

Beautiful deer! Awesome hunt. I gotta ask though..... "Troy Aikman"???

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/20/2017 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Jeffro:
Beautiful deer! Awesome hunt. I gotta ask though..... "Troy Aikman"???
Cause Troy aikman was number 8. The neighbor across the creek from us named him that.
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/20/2017 09:22 AM

Nice one, congrats!
Posted By: Putnam

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/20/2017 11:05 AM

Congrats 12GaSlugger! I had a lot of history with that buck. Had him at 10 yards just last Tuesday morning at first light. Also, had him at 15 yards for over a half hour on 10/28 while he shadowed a doe. I also have dozens of trail cam pics of him. Yes, I am who named him "Aikman". I tend to use a lot of sports player references when naming bucks. I shot "Phil Simms" 2 years ago because he was a GIANT 11. Ha.

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/20/2017 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Putnam:
Congrats 12GaSlugger! I had a lot of history with that buck. Had him at 10 yards just last Tuesday morning at first light. Also, had him at 15 yards for over a half hour on 10/28 while he shadowed a doe. I also have dozens of trail cam pics of him. Yes, I am who named him "Aikman". I tend to use a lot of sports player references when naming bucks. I shot "Phil Simms" 2 years ago because he was a GIANT 11. Ha.
Thanks, yea I have to give you the credit for the name. You got Phil Simms the week after I couldn't call him in opening weekend I believe. I think that was the same year your son got a nice one too?
Posted By: Stinger

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/21/2017 07:31 AM

That's a sweet buck! Congratulations

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/21/2017 10:36 AM

Did you weigh or score him yet? Just curious...

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/21/2017 10:37 AM

Oops... Sorry, I just saw where you said he field dressed 190. Cool...
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/25/2017 09:00 PM

Great deer Slugger, congrats!
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: Opening Day Craziness - 11/27/2017 01:05 PM

Awesome!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting