Home

Any Luck On Opening Weekend?

Posted By: Bryan78

Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/19/2017 07:46 PM

Pretty quiet in here for opening weekend! Did anyone have any luck? I could have shot a horse of a Doe Saturday morning but since I don't need any deer meat (because I have a freezer full still) I let her walk.

Unless it is a wall hanger or a wounded deer, I do not plan on taking anything this year.
Posted By: Jeffro

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/19/2017 08:06 PM

I wonder how the weather affected us up here in NWI.... poured all day long Saturday. I have to wonder how many hunters were in the woods.
I went out this morning (Sunday), saw 2 from the stand and 1 while walking out. No shot opportunities.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/19/2017 08:20 PM

Poured rain here, 5 inches. I got 1 hr in yesterday and got down when my cell phone showed the storm about to hit. Not many shots today, maybe 7-8. I did see a pack of yotes that got into the brush before I could nail them. One decent 6, couple spikes and one doe. I think we are in the lock down faze of the rut. h.h.
Posted By: Scarlett Dew

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/19/2017 09:57 PM

Quiet Here over the wet weekend....... but "noise" will happen.... wink
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/19/2017 10:07 PM

My son shot an 8 pointer this morning, not a big deer by any means but he’s 10 so he’s on cloud 9.
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/20/2017 09:29 AM

Pretty quiet yesterday, as far as shots heard. Lots of deer movement though. Saw a lot of "unattended" does feeding peacefully. And a number of younger bucks out cruising again.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/20/2017 10:27 AM

Ok thanks stick here are the pics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EkTsA
Posted By: DEC

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/20/2017 10:56 AM

Very quiet. I hunted morning and night both days. Saturday morning I had 5 does and a small buck all come through single file, then 10 minutes later they all came back through going the other way single file. All walking like nothing was going on. That was all I saw in four miserably wet/windy/cold sits. Very few shots heard at all. I bet in the 4 sits I didn't hear 20 shots total and only one was even remotely close. Most were distant ones where you even questioned if you heard a shot or not.
Posted By: DEC

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/20/2017 10:57 AM

Originally posted by traditionalarcher17:
Ok thanks stick here are the pics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EkTsA
Great deer and congrats to the young man!
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/20/2017 12:47 PM

no interest in going out for opening gun.... I'll wait till the woods quiet down, and get back out with the bow... Sat. was a wash out anyways up here... my vacation ended, Sunday I worked as I do all the way till next Sat..... now that the property has screwed up the check in for bowhunters during gun seasons, its tougher to get ready and get out and set up before light... makes it tougher to sit out before work, I am more rushed ... I may just start hunting afternoons only now and on days off...... good luck to the gun guys that do get out ...
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/20/2017 08:04 PM

Sat morning and evening today, nothing this morning but this evening I saw 12 deer and only one was a buck, a small 4pt. They were in groups of 1-2-3. The does were browsing around and the buck was being frisky with 2 doe and they weren't paying him to much attention. I saw both piebald doe that stay on my property. I just hope they stay on my side of the fence until the seasons are over. Maybe the front coming tomorrow will get them moving. h.h.
Posted By: Stinger

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/21/2017 07:04 AM

Originally posted by Jeffro:
I wonder how the weather affected us up here in NWI.... poured all day long Saturday. I have to wonder how many hunters were in the woods.
I went out this morning (Sunday), saw 2 from the stand and 1 while walking out. No shot opportunities.
Worst opening weekend in Indiana History. I talked with DNR in Jasper Pulaski and Willow Slough. Until Sunday afternoon there were less than 10 deer taken total in both areas. Sunday evening may have been different.

Jasper/Pulaski - dead silent. I think there were 3 deer shot on Saturday.

Really bad!

I also think that the best days to hunt were the weekend before opening weekend, the 11th and 12th. I was out with archery and the deer were all over. Opening day was the worst ever.
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/21/2017 05:45 PM

I could have killed a small buck as I had a half dozen within range at one time or another, I could have killed another Doe prior to the 2nd vacation ending .... I decided on neither ... I just wont kill a 1.5yr old baby buck ..... now, if I get another big Doe in front of me after Thanksgiving, I just may tag out on her this season ... the odd's of taking a good buck diminish big time as the late seasons progress on these F&W properties and I'd like some more meat in the freezer, that one Doe I got earlier wont cut it ... I'll play it as it goes and how I feel if and when I get a Doe in range, but I do enjoy hunting in the snow, when and if we get some before the season ends ... tic tic tic tic ...
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: Any Luck On Opening Weekend? - 11/27/2017 01:26 PM

Here's my brother's opening morning spike.
It was a nasty morning for sure and when this one snuck up from behind him to within 15 feet as he sat (napped?) in a camp chair, he figured it was on a suicide mission. I am guessing the deer really woke him up and asked to be shot. We didn't even hunt the evening.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting