Home

Post Rut Hunting (Dec)

Posted By: 12GaSlugger

Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/02/2016 10:40 AM

This year will be the first year I have hunted "post rut" if you will. I typically only hunt during firearms in Nov. but have a bow now and hunted several times through Oct/Nov. I will be hunting through Dec this year with my bow and was curious if anyone had any quick tips on better set ups, etc. I Will be hunting public ground with a climber. I guess the big one is food sources right now? North West part of the state...finally got cold here.
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/02/2016 01:19 PM

Deer won't move far from food sources so get close to them. Public land after gun seasons gets pretty tough with a bow so keep your expectations in line. Also, keep in mind that muzzleloader is open for the next 3 weekends/2 weeks so orange is the fashion choice smile

There is also a late antlerless gun season in most counties between Christmas and New Year's.

Good luck, it is a fun time to be in the woods. Most folks have gone home for the season and if you are on the food, you are on the deer. Plus the chance for hunting in the snow takes it to another level.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/02/2016 02:23 PM

+1 on what John said.

Find the out of the way spots. Small hard to get to woods. Thickets. No parking close etc. If you find the right one, you might find a nice bucks hide out. Afternoons are usually better late season.
Posted By: JWHenry

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/02/2016 07:41 PM

Going to echo what's already been said. Late season to me is evening only hunting; archery anyway. The key is finding where the food is and then locating the bedding area associated with the food source. It's my opinion you'll want to get off the food a little bit but between the bedding and food. I look for a pinch point and set up there. Another key point is getting in and out without detection. If you bust the deer off the food when leaving it's over.
Posted By: Indiana Dude

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/02/2016 09:18 PM

Not going to offer any tips because from my experience what applies in one spot might not apply 5 miles away.
But I will say, the biggest bucks I've ever seen have been in December.
Posted By: Double B

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/03/2016 06:01 AM

And then there's the second rut. It may perk back up.
Posted By: Stinger

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/05/2016 08:08 AM

All great points. I have a lot of experience hunting in December, but little results.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/05/2016 09:22 AM

I saw a Buck Tending a Doe Yesterday So I'm saying 2nd rut is now
Posted By: Knight50

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/05/2016 12:37 PM

My 2 cents on public ground smile It can be tough to narrow down an area for food cause there is so many acorns all around in a large place like Hoosier Natl. I usally move around until i find a pocket of does then set up close where i can cover a lot of ground. Ive hunted clear cuts in the past and realized there is so many places deer can hide in a large woods, I couldn't just set on a clear cut. My daughter and i set up Saturday in an area where we saw some does. By 10:30 we seen 7 does and 2 small bucks,so we had a pretty good day. The bucks were not shooters but i belive hanging around the does will give us a good chance to see a nice buck. You never know 2nd rut might kick in on one of those does and bring in a good buck. I see most my deer between 10 and 12 in december.
Posted By: Hunter Dan

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/05/2016 01:58 PM

I shot my 2nd biggest buck ever in December several years ago with a muzzleloader. I love late season - the colder the better. But, I have no experience hunting public ground. I have a couple acres of standing corn and can't wait for the end of this week. Looks like Thursday and Friday will be epic - highs of 25 and 26 with mid teens at night.
Posted By: Hunter Dan

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/05/2016 02:07 PM

Here is the buck I killed in December of '09. Wind chill was way below zero with blowing snow...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 12GaSlugger

Re: Post Rut Hunting (Dec) - 12/05/2016 03:36 PM

Yeah, I remember when Larry Sent me that picture...
Originally posted by Hunter Dan:
Here is the buck I killed in December of '09. Wind chill was way below zero with blowing snow...

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting