Originally posted by jbwhttail:
jjas:

As I posted before the door was first opened by the pistol, then pcr and finally the crossbow. My son and I were deer hunting several years ago, he had his Striker pistol in .308 and I was carrying a muzzleloader. We came to and open feild with a doe feeding in it, she looked up the continued to feed. My son set up his bipod shooting sticks and sat down resting his pistol on the sticks, no reaction from the doe. Gun went boom and deer flopped! The shot was over 300 yards, I know because the field is 525 yards long and she was at the far end. She didn't care what was used, she was "dead right there"(DRT). Now we have the "opportunity" (you folks like that word) to allow everyone the same "opportunity". When the pistol rules came about I was told "very few people have the money to spend on the wildcat pistols". Seems to me rules were being made for the wealthy....

And to your issue with trail cameras, I would say the camera has saved more bucks than it has killed. When people SEE what is in their area they can hold out for a certain deer. Before the camera they shot what was in front of them. Today MANY go home with an empty tag. As with what Pav said, you can get pictures of a buck but putting in front of you to kill is a different matter. I might get to hunt 12 hours per day, my camera is on 24/7
All of the above from wow?.....Well, since you responded....

I don't dispute that cameras have saved many a deer's life. People tend to put them in and then check them over and over and over. It doesn't take long for the deer (especially mature deer) to respond negatively to the pressure.

But used correctly, they provide information that can help hunters find and pattern the deer on their property. Without cameras, there are many deer you likely wouldn't know existed. But...even if you had laid eyes on every deer in your woods (through hunting and more traditional scouting techniques), you still wouldn't have a clue as to the when/where/how that running cameras 24/7 can help provide. To me, that is a big advantage. My guess is that "SURPRISE" you won't agree...

My main concern with cameras would be with the newer "real time" cameras. They not only can put you on deer in "real time" that information can also help you kill them in "real time" (as was illustrated by a member of this very forum last fall). And like P&Y, I have fair chase concerns about that.

Now onto the rifle proposal.....

jbwhttail
Now we have the "opportunity" (you folks like that word) to allow everyone the same "opportunity". When the pistol rules came about I was told "very few people have the money to spend on the wildcat pistols". Seems to me rules were being made for the wealthy....
First...here's myth number one of Chad Stewart's 10 common myths of deer management....and it addresses opportunity.

Myth 1: The DNR manages deer for deer hunters only.

Indiana law mandates that the DNR manage
deer and all wildlife for everyone in Indiana.
The goal of the white-tailed deer management
and research program is to maximize hunting
and viewing opportunities while maintaining
a deer population at a level consistent with
ecological, social, and economic values of all
Indiana citizens.

Finally...We've had use of pistols chambered in the rounds included in the proposal for years, and if was/is okay for your son to had/have the opportunity to use a pistol chambered in .308 to kill a deer, why should it be a problem for someone else to have the opportunity to use a rifle chambered in the same round?