Home

a good bird hunt..

Posted By: gundude

a good bird hunt.. - 03/18/2014 08:25 PM

Got a chance to watch a dog work and spend some time with a good friend.. my shooting skills left a lot to be desired but we got some birds and it was just an enjoyable day to be in the field.it brought back memories of the time when a boy and his dog could go to the field and come home with a quail or two.. I'll hunt on!!. With an ice pack or two.lol....

Thanks again.. enjoyable day!
Posted By: bean

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/18/2014 08:53 PM

Nothin better than that. Miss good dog work....

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/19/2014 07:29 AM

I hear ya.. I want another one! Just wish we had more wild birds to hunt
Posted By: Goosepond_Monster

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/19/2014 08:46 AM

From what I have seen quail are making a good comeback in the Goose Pond area.
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/19/2014 12:32 PM

There will soon be a proposal to suspend grouse hunting in Indiana until the population rebounds. This should be a wakeup call to quail and pheasant hunters in Indiana. YOU ARE NEXT. We (and by that I mean every sportsman who ever hunted gamebirds in this state) need to become active in getting birds restored through increases in habitat and suporting IDNR. We need to work with landowners from Michigan to the Ohio River to "leave a little for the birds". I'm too old to see the benefits but if we want the next generation to enjoy what we had then we better get busy right now.

Jack

P.S. I'm shooting for money the next time, Keith. I went 7 for 7 and didn't have to clean that second barrel.

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/19/2014 01:03 PM

Oh shut up.. I haven't shot my bird gun in over two years!

But I'm with ya on the proposal.. I have said it for years..

P.s..don't try me with a rifle..I've still got game there..
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/19/2014 03:00 PM

I went to the NRC meeting yesterday and I expect the proposal either in May or July. It will go into effect next year. DNR personnel said a lot of people had commented on the plight of the quail. Maybe we can get some movement on that front.

Jack
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/19/2014 06:34 PM

I wish the would have put Jefferson Co, in the Quail Initiative there seems to be some monies for habitat
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/19/2014 07:11 PM

Your local SCS has a Mid Summer Management Program you can enroll land into. I put 20 acres into it for 3 years and got paid back most all the money it cost me to kill the fescue, disc and plant clover seed. You do the acres in 1/3 each year for 3 years. Bad thing up here is we have no wild birds in this area to rebuild the population. If the DNR would trap and repopulate like they did with turkeys it might help bring them back. h.h.
Posted By: delaney

Re: a good bird hunt.. - 03/19/2014 07:53 PM

I think the overall point is that sportsmen need to get involved in habitat issues and get over the other issues that seem to be dominating the various discussions, except maybe high fence operations and changing to laws to make violations basically infractions.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting