Home

Frost seeding

Posted By: deerhunter986

Frost seeding - 02/18/2016 05:17 PM

Anyone frost seed and when is a good time to start. Got a couple lanes that run through the woods that come into a small food plot we made where the lanes y I think would make a good clover stand. Been doin some research and they say you can frost seed winter rye also, turkeys use the ridge top and they are also always in the small plot just wanted something growing and up come April 27
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Frost seeding - 02/18/2016 05:54 PM

Any time NOW I'm doing mine as we speak ! Ladino Clover , and some Wild flowers AKA forbs you can do Switch grass now also with decent results
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Frost seeding - 02/18/2016 07:15 PM

I've seen enough frost already. Quit planting more! smile

Re: Frost seeding - 02/27/2016 04:05 PM

Hey throbak be another week before I get around to this. Question if I seed now can I wait to throw some pelletized lime down or do that when sow the seed? Trapper that's why I am waiting.lol

Re: Frost seeding - 02/27/2016 09:02 PM

You can throw line down any time will work fine But even with pelitized lime the results take awhile

Re: Frost seeding - 03/01/2016 04:34 PM

Yea been wantin to get cleared and get lime down early I know they say woods soil is acidic cause of leaf decay areas just aren't big enough to waste time with soil test. With a baby due any day been gettin house ready

Re: Frost seeding - 03/01/2016 04:47 PM

I finished mine yesterday's I'll lime next should have limed last fall or summer lime takes awhile

Re: Frost seeding - 03/02/2016 05:37 PM

I thought pelletized lime works faster but doesn't last as long

Re: Frost seeding - 03/03/2016 07:43 AM

Doesn't work any faster than real fine AG lime actually
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Frost seeding - 03/03/2016 08:28 AM

Ag lime has fine, medium and large sized pieces in it, pelletized lime is powdered lime pressed into pellets.

Ag lime will last several years because of the different time it takes for each size pieces to break down and leach into the soil. Pelletized usually will last 3-4 months but is easier to handle and apply.

Different areas of Indiana have different soil PH. For optimum results do a soil test and that will tell you how much to add or not add. h.h.

Re: Frost seeding - 03/06/2016 02:58 PM

Got two long linear plots done today think I missed the frost but with the rain comin in all next week think I will be ok
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting