Home

opening day update?

Posted By: 76chevy

opening day update? - 10/01/2016 08:33 PM

well I got humbled by an old doe, she spotted me 18' feet up looked right at me and at the last second and ducked the 10 yard chip shot

lots of deer movement tonight after the rain moved through, the rain let me get setup silent

anybody have any luck?
Posted By: bean

Re: opening day update? - 10/01/2016 10:17 PM

Passed two small bucks this morning. Nothing this evening. Where we hunted tonight was along a creek and corn field. The storm yesterday blew a whole bunch of corn over and I am sure they heard me coming in. Fixed it on way back out.
Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: opening day update? - 10/02/2016 12:32 PM

Seen deer all day got caught standing up with my hands in my hoodie pocket yesterday afternoon as a nice 10pt made a scrape and while watching him had 11 does and fawns filter through under me could not move without being caught watch em all walk away in the corn
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: opening day update? - 10/02/2016 01:48 PM

Had to wait for the rain to move out which was late afternoon, wasnt until 3 before I got settled into the stand....bumped a Doe going in, fought skeeters all afternoon, didnt have refills for the thermacell...the skeeters were horrible !!....hard to see a deer when your doing the Barney Fife karate routine trying to keep the skeeters at bay.....I'm getting the refill kit this afternoon as soon as I get off duty...

I'll try tomorrow AM early before work (Mon)... ....
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: opening day update? - 10/02/2016 04:13 PM

Haven't even been to the woods yet shocked
Posted By: jkissner

Re: opening day update? - 10/02/2016 06:54 PM

I went out yesterday with 3 friends. I still have meat in the freezer from last year so I wasn't interested in a doe, but then one came limping in from behind me. Kudos to Scentlok suits, the wind was blowing right from me to her. I take our responsibility to the herd very seriously, so I decided I should take this doe because of her limp. I didn't get a chance to see the cause.

Sadly, I jumped the gun and shot too soon. The arrow hit a limb and then the ground. Had I waited another minute, she would have walked into a complete clearing 20 yards in front of me. I know the trail in front of the stand better now.

No chance for a second shot before she had walked away.
Posted By: ambusharcher

Re: opening day update? - 10/02/2016 08:46 PM

Got out but didnt see anything. Found alot of tracks and previously unknown water source, so still a successful day in my book. I now know better where to set up. Going back out tomorrow evening so hopefully I'll have a deer to show for it. Lol.
Posted By: Gilley

Re: opening day update? - 10/02/2016 09:31 PM

Shot a good doe in the beans along the edge of the woods tonight. Jeff you are correct, skeeters are almost umbearable.

Re: opening day update? - 10/03/2016 07:03 AM

worth it's weight in gold!!

https://www.thermacell.com/products/mosquito-repellents/mosquito-repellers/olive-mosquito-repeller

Re: opening day update? - 10/03/2016 05:19 PM

Used the Thermacell this morning...no problems with skeeters either !!...didnt see squat except Chipmunks...the darn things would not shut up...one barked for 1 1/2 hours straight... I timed him !!...had at least 6 or 7 around me that would not shutup ... I hate Chipmunks !!
Posted By: PoseyCoHunter

Re: opening day update? - 10/06/2016 02:03 AM

You can refill the ThermaCell butane cartridges to get more use from your unit like this.

https://youtu.be/8dvQeAjv3eg

Re: opening day update? - 10/06/2016 06:16 AM

thanks for the info! Just found the butane online at menards

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...5-6-oz-butane-refill/p-1444438805176.htm

Re: opening day update? - 10/06/2016 02:36 PM

I will do the refill from now on....
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting