Home

Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties

Posted By: jjas

Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/11/2016 10:37 AM

"Ohio deer hunters increased their take over last season. 188,335 white-tailed deer dating back to the opening of archery season in the fall. That’s up from the 175,745 deer checked during the 2014-2015 season.

The increase came even as the state lowered bag limits and eliminated antlerless permit use in most counties."

http://wkbn.com/2016/02/09/ohio-deer-hunters-increase-take-over-last-season/
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/11/2016 08:13 PM

Looks like all the naysayers were wrong. Record number in KY, OH harvest up, our harvest up......

And some were saying we were wiping out the herds...
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/11/2016 09:17 PM

In Ohio,s case shows short seasons don't necessarily mean less deer
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/11/2016 09:42 PM

smile
Posted By: pav

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/12/2016 05:54 PM

Hope you guys are right, but it's not about the number killed...it's the number of survivors that count.

*BIG* difference in hunting conditions between November 2014 versus November 2015. Curious how much that affected hunter participation?

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/14/2016 05:29 AM

OK...I had to go take a peek for myself.

The elimination of anterless only permits in most counties does NOT mean hunters are restricted from shooting antlerless deer in those counties.

Every county in Ohio offers multiple either sex tags...with a statewide limit of six deer...and a one buck limit. Any deer hunter in Ohio can kill up to six antlerless deer (five if a buck is harvested) and never need an antlerless only permit.

Just did not want the reader to take the title of this thread at face value.

The fact Ohio cut way back on available deer tags and completely eliminated a muzzleloader season should raise some eyebrows. Just my opinion.

[Linked Image]

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/14/2016 08:42 AM

PAV
The elimination of anterless only permits in most counties does NOT mean hunters are restricted from shooting antlerless deer in those counties.
No one ever said it did. Just like Indiana, Ohio does allow multiple deer to be killed without the use of antlerless permits.

The point of the post was to illustrate the fact that even when antlerless permit use was restricted (or in this case eliminated in most counties), in this case, it didn't have the effect of lowering the harvest that many assume it would.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/14/2016 10:45 AM

In Indiana with NO antlerless tags used you can still kill 4 does and one buck can't you what I see is just a shuffle of tag and season utilization and still kill the same no The guys killing more than One deer still will ; I will no problem with no bonus

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/15/2016 01:37 PM

Originally posted by pav:

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/15/2016 02:01 PM

pav
The title of the thread is....

Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties

Quote from the article....

The increase came even as the state lowered bag limits and eliminated antlerless permit use in most counties.

Based on the other responses in the thread, it's pretty obvious that the title and quote have been accepted @ face value.

And as such, while you are certainly entitled to your opinion, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the subject...

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 08:28 AM

Just can't let it go...can you?

I'm sure that Ohio written and Ohio published quote made perfect sense to hunters well versed in Ohio deer hunting regulations....which likely excludes the majority of readers on this Indiana based website.

I felt the title of the thread could be misleading to some of the other readers here because it was to me. I had to dig deeper to find out exactly what "antlerless permit use eliminated" really meant in the grand scheme.

Sorry if I pissed in your Wheaties....but we have nothing to "agree to disagree" about!

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 09:16 AM

pav
Just can't let it go...can you?
Before the proposals were being debated, I don't remember ever having an issue with you. Since then, I can't count the number of times this nonsense has occurred and this thread is a perfect example of that. A simple three line, self explanatory, linked to a reference thread that turned into yet another p*ssing contest.

I've tried to take the high road and agree to disagree, but that never seems to work with you. I've even asked you in the past to just ignore my threads and I would do the same for yours to keep the nonsense down, but obviously that hasn't happened either.

So fine...if it will end this foolishness, I'll "let it go".

Maybe that way you'll feel that you've "won"....and hopefully, that will put an end to this silly waste of time.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 10:06 AM

hopefully, that will put an end to this silly waste of time.
Until next time..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 12:35 PM

I didn't "win" anything. Wasn't trying to "win" anything.

I posted a very civil response on the 12th. The more I thought about the title of thread, the more curious I became. Went to the ODNR website to learn more and posted my findings on the 14th...two days later.

I became curious how any state can eliminate antlerless permits and actually increase the harvest? Thought others might be curious too and shared the information.

Unfortunately, what I thought was an informative post was apparently perceived as something else?
My mistake. There is really no need to take it so personally, I would have posted the same information regardless who started a thread with the same title.

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 12:39 PM

Sorry Weedhopper.

Appears I've worn out my welcome here.

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 01:06 PM

Sorry Paul! Not referring to you at all! eek

Your posts are some of the few that make any damm sense anymore. mad

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 01:16 PM

pav
Unfortunately, what I thought was an informative post was apparently perceived as something else?
My mistake. There is really no need to take it so personally, I would have posted the same information regardless who started a thread with the same title.

Mistakes happen. I'll own my part of it, let's call it a day and move on.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 01:22 PM

PAV,

You've stated a couple things that makes perfect sense to me, and I have thought all along.

Last years deer season was the "perfect storm" for killing deer. All the crops came out early, before the firearms season, and the weather was mild the entire season. Deer with no places to hide, and guys that actually hunted that normally don't hunt when the weather is tough is likely the reason for the higher harvest……in Indiana and Ohio. Its NOT because there were "MORE" deer to be hunted that the harvest #'s are up.

And you are right, its NOT about the current years harvest #'s. There are too many variables from year to year to use that as a true measure of the actual population. It is what is left over for recruitment of the following years "crop" what counts. I'm not a "ceiling is falling in" kind of guy when it comes to the deer herd. They can rebound quickly if given the change…..IF. But, one of these years, if we have a couple more "perfect storm" kind of years in a row, There will be a dramatic drop in the harvest numbers…

And IMO, the number of antler less permits doesn't make squat of a difference in the better counties. Its the does we can kill BEFORE the bonus. Its in the deer poor counties where the bonus does make a difference.

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 01:23 PM

This^^^^^

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 04:05 PM

You're right jjas.....time to move on.
Posted By: DawnPatrol

Re: Ohio deer harvest up even with antlerless permit use eliminated in most counties - 02/16/2016 04:33 PM

Yaz.......you stirring things up again? laugh
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting