Home

Season on the edge!

Posted By: garman6

Season on the edge! - 12/17/2015 01:23 PM

My son Justin who is 14 and was my deer hunting buddy this year has been in the hospital this week battling pneumonia. At first we didn't know what was wrong, he was just passing out with really no symptoms, so we had lots of time to sit in that room at Peyton Manning Hospital and just chat. He is doing fine now after some really strong antibiotics kicked in and finally finding something to treat. I thought I would share some of the things we talked about which all revolved around deer. We both got a deer this year, he got a doe in youth and I got a nice buck with a muzzleloader, so it was a good year for us. It has been tough for him this year as he decided early to wait it out for a big buck. I asked him what he had learned from this season so far. He said its really hard to kill a big one for sure, but this year for the first time I see now that when your hunting there are some awesome things in the woods. He listed his favorite sightings, and all white barn owl, a mink, a duck walking through our alfalfa field a mile from any water, a grey fox, and a red coyote. I could go on and on about some of the good things we talked about, it was just good that he didn't complain about not getting a buck. It does my heart good to know he has the patience that it takes to sit out there and do what we do. I think he has the same bug that most of us do and is starting to understand that its not just about the kill. All you guys out there have a great Christmas and remember its not always about the kill. Good luck to all those still trying I will be out this weekend I hope.
Posted By: Double B

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/17/2015 02:47 PM

Glad to hear he is on the mend, sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and a good mentor. Some of my best memories afield are of non target species and the encounter. Just a bonus being out in the woods and learning every chance you get. Hope you all enjoy the holidays!
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/17/2015 06:18 PM

Sounds like a son to be very proud of. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/17/2015 06:35 PM

Sounds like he " gets it" smile warms the heart! Hope he gets well soon
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/17/2015 08:33 PM

I had druther see a barn owl as shoot a deer any day, tell him I'm envious and get over being sic quick
Posted By: garman6

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/17/2015 09:16 PM

Got him home now and he is resting. I think he is done hunting for this year. Thank the lord that it was something treatable and not too serious. Best Xmas gift I could ask for.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/17/2015 09:41 PM

Amen, buddy!
Posted By: HS Strut

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/17/2015 10:44 PM

Hey I'm just glad he's ok. Almost lost my son in June in a horrible auto accident. Sure changed my outlook on life. Hope your son makes a full recovery and you guys get to hunt for many years to come
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/18/2015 06:57 AM

Glad your son is home and getting better. h.h.
Posted By: Stinger

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/18/2015 09:37 AM

I hope all is well and he recovers quickly. Thanks for sharing your story.
Posted By: kevinhunter

Re: Season on the edge! - 12/18/2015 03:14 PM

Only 14, but much wiser than most! Glad to hear that he is home and getting better. Sounds like a fine young man and he has a great mentor/father as well. Happy Holidays!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting