Home

Thank You Brother

Posted By: sticksender

Thank You Brother - 11/11/2014 10:08 PM

Today as I sat quietly in the tree stand waiting for something to happen, my thoughts drifted back to the 2013 deer season and my friend's advice.

His home being a couple hours away, most of the time we keep in touch by phone calls and text messages. And more often than not, the subject turns to our various outdoor adventures. So it was nothing unusual last fall when I'd sent him a picture I'd snapped of a buck that I'd just let pass on November 1, 2013.

[Linked Image]

I mentioned to my friend that I might regret that decision later, since he was a pretty decent buck and he'd stood there for a long time in easy bow range....what was I thinking!?

But his broken left brow tine and also being "only a 9-pointer" was my rationale for letting him go. Problem was, for him to make it through the rest of the seasons might be tough since most hunters in these parts won't let a buck like that walk. Even if the buck did survive, there was no guarantee he'd be bigger next year.

But my friend re-assured me, after looking at the pic, that it was the right choice. He said he had a good feeling the buck would make it, and was also convinced he'd be bigger and a more noteworthy trophy with another year of growth. That made me feel better about letting him walk.

My friend was right as it turned out, and the buck did indeed survive the gauntlet of bow, gun, and muzz seasons last year, and started showing up on trail cams all through the winter months.

[Linked Image]
So as this year's seasons got underway I wondered if I'd ever see that buck again. I'd gotten a few velvet pics and one September pic (below) of a buck that I thought could've been the same deer. If so, he was a nice looking buck and a shooter now for sure. Unfortunately, so far during the first 5-1/2 weeks of the bow season I hadn't seen him.

[Linked Image]

But as luck (or fate) would have it, that finally changed all of a sudden today, on Veterans Day 2014, when a big buck quietly materialized 25 yards from my stand like a ghost. Without hesitation I grabbed the bow and was able to place a single, specially-marked arrow through the center of his heart.

I can't recall the mechanics of the shot, like drawing or aiming or releasing. Something else took over and made it happen with very little effort. The buck ran 50 yards and piled up.

He turned out to be the same buck from last year, with no mistaking it after studying the nose band, throat patch, brow tines, and the main beam conformation.

And my friend had been right on another account as well....he got bigger! I found the arrow and laid it across his neck for the picture.

[Linked Image]
I sure wish I could share this tale with him. But he's off to a better place in the Universe and can't be reached now.

About the best I could do was keep the #1 arrow in my quiver christened with his name and logo on the windward side of each of it's three vanes.

By the way, that special arrow was unscathed after it's trip through the buck. After cleaning off the blood, it's back in the #1 position in my quiver. I'll be attempting to put it through an Iowa buck next week.

It's one d@mn lucky arrow, and no one will convince me otherwise!

Thanks for everything brother.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DEC

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/11/2014 10:17 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: animalhouse

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/11/2014 10:18 PM

Once again, great story and pics Greg.

Congrats on a great bow buck, and very nice tribute!
Posted By: delaney

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/11/2014 10:22 PM

A lot of thoughts come to mind along with congratulations.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/11/2014 10:31 PM

Congrats and I'm sure he's smiling down on you for Sure today.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/11/2014 10:32 PM

I had just spoken with Keith's son , Parker this evening...and bawled my eyes out after hanging up the phone. Texted back and forth with Tony Bacon...talking about things with Keith...and now..THIS!

Thanks, Greg.....I sure do miss my buddy.....
Posted By: psearchery

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/11/2014 11:08 PM

Not to many guys will get on here and admitt to crying or feeling sorrow but reading this story just made the hair on my neck stand up. Congrats on a fine deer and a great tribute to Keith. I'm sure he was smiling down on you big time.
Posted By: wtlhaven

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 05:18 AM

Awesome tribute Greg. Your detailed stories over the years have always been a joy to read, but this one is by far my favorite. I'm sure Keith enjoyed watching every moment of your hunt unfold as well.... Congratulations!!!
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 05:57 AM

Great buck stick but even a better story.... Congrats
Posted By: pav

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 06:21 AM

Great buck Greg....and an awesome tribute!
Posted By: Geddy Lee

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 07:03 AM

That's simply terrific
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 07:21 AM

That's one fine buck Greg, and a perfect tribute to a fine person….Thank you for posting this story!!! Congrats!!!
Posted By: BigBuckD

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 09:03 AM

Very Cool. Awesome way to honor and remember.
Posted By: Huntnfreak

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 09:19 AM

Awesome deer..even better tribute!! God is GOOD!! Congrats!!
Posted By: bean

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 09:23 AM

Well stated. Congrats on a great buck. I have heard it said "you can't control how long your life is, BUT you can control how deep and wide it goes." You just proved that principle once again by remembering a friend.
Posted By: kevinhunter

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 09:27 AM

Great job Greg, and a very fitting end to a magnificent buck and fantastic tribute to very special person! Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 01:31 PM

congrats!
Posted By: tattoo

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 03:56 PM

Very nice buck and a even better story.
Posted By: Ruger Man

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 06:33 PM

Very cool!!
Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 06:50 PM

That's awsome. Man enough to admitt I got a tear rollin down my cheek after that. I killed a turkey a few years back on my cousins birthday after he was killed. Balled my eyes out. Hunt on fellas. Good luck in Iowa
Posted By: Scarlett Dew

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 07:08 PM

Great buck.... And I've got a feeling that arrow isn't done yet.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Friendships Rule.....
Posted By: Gilley

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 07:53 PM

Great buck and story !!
Posted By: DawnPatrol

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 08:41 PM

Thanks for sharing and congrats on a biggin!
Posted By: BREW...

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 09:41 PM

Thanks for sharing this.....good stuff smile
Posted By: johnc911

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/12/2014 11:19 PM

Wow great story the arrows gave me chills Nice job Stick !!
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/24/2014 07:38 PM

That has got to be THE BEST hunting story I've ever heard, Greg!

I know what you mean about wanting to share your hunt with a very good friend that knows just what that buck/turkey/hunt meant to you, better than anyone else could..... but are no longer around to enjoy it with you! But I'd bet my bottom dollar they saw it all unfold better than we did... and probably had a hand in it coming together in some way wink

HUNT ON MY BROTHERS, HUNT ON!!
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Thank You Brother - 11/25/2014 08:50 AM

Yep Ernie, you nailed it, thanks.

We'll "HUNT ON", and remember those who got us here.

© 2024 Hoosier Hunting